Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

Developer Discussions

Discuss topics with other Hexagon Geospatial Power Portfolio developers and experts to get the most out of our products.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Regular Contributor

Need to produce customized plots - Looking for help on how to get started

I would like to add customized printing to my GeoSpatial Portal application.  This would include adding some stardard text and imagery to each plot, specifying positioning of the legend, scale bar and north arrow,and displaying an overview map with a box indicating the map location.  I would also add some text which which would be a combination of database attributes of the parcel being plotted.  Where should I look to get started?

Thanks!

Jane

Super Contributor

Re: Need to produce customized plots - Looking for help on how to get started

Hi geoquery, 

If you are new to xaml (the printing template files), you may want to open the file in the environment that specifically supports the file extension such as Visual Studio (Express version should be ok), so you can see how it is laid out. You can add some custom containers, static text and images. If you want to add some input fields to the template, you may need to experiment these textfields with the binding attached (please note that they are linked to the printing dialog).

From our experience, I am not so sure that we can add the overview map, our investigation on the printing performace shows us that the portal submits entire current workspace (all the maps + overview) back to the server when it does printing, the overview map is likely to be processed but we only get a print of the current map back.

The printing template is A4 default, so if you print it in A3 or A2, the actual print files will have all the text scaled up. If you want font size, information panel, static image to be consistent in size amongst all paper sizes (A4 above), you may need to adjust template width and height and define each tempate per paper size.

Kind regards

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks very much for the reply.  I am working in Microsoft Visual Studio 2013.  I just read a little about XAML.  Where do i find this template file in my SDK project?   I see there are xml files but can't find any xaml ones?  (**New to this!**)

Super Contributor

Hi geoquery, 

The printing templates are not part of the SDK. If you install the software Geospatial Portal/WebMap with the default path then the templates should be placed in the location "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Hexagon\Services\Supporting Services\PrintingService\App_Data\Resources\Templates". You should have a look at Geospatial Portal Admin Guide about configuring printing service (using PhantomJS & GraphicsMagick).

We also customize the printing template for our Utility client, but they just want a big map, no legend item display so our templates are pretty simple. I provide a link here if you want to look at this, http://filetransfer.intergraph.com/workflow/GET/ULXNPDGQWHLTBOS8-0001

Kind regards,

Regular Contributor

Thanks - i've just started working on this and learning xaml.  I'm not able to access your file at the filetransfer.intergraph.com link below.

If you are using XAML and  have a template file I could access, I would be very interested to try it.  

Technical Evangelist

Hi Jane,

I've written a tutorial on this matter last year, it includes finished template file at the very end. Have you checked it?

https://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/WebGIS-Tutorials/How-to-customize-printing-templates-used...

Regards,

Jan

Jan Neumann
Post Sales Engineer Web Applications
Hexagon Geospatial

Regular Contributor

yes - it was very helpful - i used it to create a customized plot (screen shot on my other post about this) and just need to be able to include more map related information on plot

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Out of the box, with the template you're limited with the only basic controls surrounding the map such as ScaleBar or Legend and their populated properties.

However, you should be able to slightly customize the map output using the custom snapshot page, which I pointed you to in the other topic.

Jan Neumann
Hexagon Geospatial

Regular Contributor

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Hexagon\Services\Supporting_Services\PrintingService\App_Data\Resources\Templates and have been able to modify it but still looking for a way to dynamically add textblocks to it.

Technical Evangelist

[ Edited ]

Do you want to fill the Text block content using user supplied data or shall they be filled automatically during runtime of the print?

For the first case, this can be accomplished using custom parameters and bindings set. On the second option, I can't tell whether this is possible. I'm just guessing now, but you might be able to access the custom XAML elements using the custom snapshot page... I can't confirm that though

Jan Neumann
Hexagon Geospatial

Do you need immediate support?
Please submit a Ticket through our
Development Ticket Portal.