Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ERDAS IMAGINE

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Super Contributor

Graphic Cards for Stereo Visualization

Dear all,

I just saw in the 2018 System Requirements  that the supported Graphic Cards are :

• NVIDIA® Quadro® K5200, K4200, K2200, K420
  • NVIDIA Quadro K5000, K4000, K600

What about the new P-series of NVIDIA Quadro Graphic Card?
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/design-visualization/quadro-desktop-gpus/

Some hardware vendors have difficulties in quoting  and selling the old k-Quadro series. 

Furthermore, what about geforce series? What is your opinion about them?

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/3d-vision/supported-gpus

Thank you very much
Regards
Giuseppe M.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Graphic Cards for Stereo Visualization

This is a constant topic where we are always bit on behind. I have no facts to give but I have a strong user impression from many years of history. In nutshell situation is this:

The most expensive Nvidia Quadro professional card is the best and then your budget defines do you want to spend 5000 USD to graphics card. In old times this ment Quadro FX, then came K and now it seems to be P. I am pretty sure that expensive QUADRO P will do the things you want.

The key requirement for stereo work is OpenGL and that differentiates gaming card from these professional cards. So most likely gaming cards might have better performance but OpenGL is disabled and due that it is not valid for stereo visualization. This is something where my basis is not that hard and I have a feeling that entertainment stereo display could have made a difference here. So it could be that cheap gaming cards will work with certain stereo hardware but I hope someone who knows more can enlighten us. Can NVIDIA GeForce show stereo too with proper stereo hardware?

Another issue is new windows that tends to kill Nvidia drivers for commercial reason. Like in my case I am still running old Quadro FX and that no longer works with my stereo hardware as NVIDIA has decided not to support my hardware in latest WIndows 10 compatible drivers. So Windows 8 and later versions started to lost Stereo capabilities due NVIDIA commercial reasons. They want to sell new hardware and stero support was dropped of. Like in my case Quadro FX works otherwise perfectly in my Windows 10 but no change to make stereo visible. Thats why still in some places Windows 7 is recommended for stereo work as there the hardware compatibility is as its best. It started to decrease with Windows 8 and 10. Now I hope things will get steady again as Windows release policy seems to change more to rolling release style.

If you do not need stereo then any powerfull GPU will boost your performance in 3d visualizatioons. So lidar point clouds etc. works smoothly with gaming hardware but to get stereo working you need bit more bigger wallet and high end Quadro cards.

I am interested to hear am I on right tracks or am I missing sometihng here. Especially that GeForce is someting where I am interested to hear facts too.

Super Contributor

Dear all,

For a customer, I am trying to configure a workstation with this hardware:

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060;
  • NVIDIA 3D VISION KIT- 2;
  • Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2716DG

The hardware is brand new. I know that the NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 is not in the list of tested/certified graphics cards for IMAGINE Photogrammetry, but there is any way to make it work? 
Any test that I can do? 

These are the installed driver:

01.PNG

Some screenshots from the NVIDIA control panel:

02.PNG

03.PNG

04.PNG

05.PNG

The glasses (without ERDAS) are working (test stereoscopic 3D is ok).
Any suggestions is much appreciated

Thank you very much! 
Regards

Giuseppe M.

Super Contributor

Dear all,

We tried but the NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 does not work in quad buffer mode. We will add to the workstation another graphic card. Do all the graphic cards described in the 2018 system requirements:

NVIDIA® Quadro® K5200, K4200, K2200, K420 
NVIDIA Quadro K5000, K4000, K600 

work in QuadBuffer Mode?

Or the proper quad buffer working depends also on another features? Operative System? Monitor?

We are working with Windows 10.

thank you very much

Regards
Giuseppe M.

Staff

Hi Giuseppe

IMAGINE family of stereo applications need cards that support Quad buffered stereo. The NVIDIA Quadro GPU family supports quad-buffered stereo while the GeForce GPU family does not.

Best regards, Sam

Super Contributor

Thank you Sam,

In the end we have bought an NVIDIA QUADRO K4200, with many difficulties because all the graphic cards of the K series are out of production.

I think that we (resellers) need updated system requirements with NVIDIA QUADRO M, OR P-SERIES.
thank you 
Regards

Giuseppe M.

Super Contributor

Dear all,

I am configuring a photogrammetric workstation (hardware/software) for a customer.

They want this monitor 3D PLURAL VIEW 27" (2,5k)

This monitor is usually used withi NVIDIA Quadro P5000 graphic card. Does this solution (Stereo-Monitor 3D PluraView 27" (2,5k) + NVIDIA Quadro P5000) work with IMAGINE PHOTOGRAMMETRY 2018 + ERDAS EXTENSIONS FOR ARCGIS 2018?

I know that NVIDIA Quadro P5000 is not ufficialy supported. But it's not easy for me tell the customer to buy a new workstation with an old NVIDIA® Quadro® K5200. 
Could you please help me?

Thank you

Super Contributor

Any news about this?

thank you

Technical Evangelist

Recommended graphics cards for ERDAS IMAGINE 2018 Update 2:

• NVIDIA® Quadro® P6000, P5000, P4000, P2000
  • NVIDIA® Quadro® M6000, M5000, M4000, M2000
  • NVIDIA® Quadro® K5200, K5000, K4200, K4000, K2200

Note:

• Grahics Card Certification was performed using Nvidia Driver version 411.63.
  • Some cards require DP to DVI-D dual-link adaptor. Be sure to use dual-link adaptors that are USB powered
    such as BizLink XT625 and Accell B087B-002B or B087B-007B models.
  • All monitor cables must be dual-link DVI to support stereo display.
  • Some cards require 8-pin PCIe power cables. Make sure your computer's power supply provides this type of
    power cable, or use a 6-pin to 8-pin PCIe power adaptor cable.
Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
Staff

Hi Giuseppe,

In regards to the 27” PluraView monitor, we have had a few reports of customers using it with IMAGINE Photogrammetry stereo applications and Stereo Analyst for ArcGIS and they stated that it works great.

Regards,

Stephen Bent

Hexagon Geospatial Support

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.