Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

GeoMedia Smart Client

GeoMedia Smart Client community discussion board is where you can create, contribute and share information and knowledge in regards to configuring as well as working with GeoMedia Smart Client. Find your answers, share your knowledge and help build a strong GeoMedia Smart Client community.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Customize Legend Symbology?

Is  there a way to customize the symbology in the legend (which is also used for the legend in the print)?

Problem is, that lines which are good recognizable in the map are nearly impossible to see in the legend.

For example my customers have 5 different colors for condition of pipes. On scale 1:500 you can distunguish them pretty well in the map, but it's impossible in the legend:

12.JPG

Right now, they complain about a "useless legend" in prints. 

So is there any chance to configure it? Otherwise I will post this in the ideation portal.

Contributor

Re: Customize Legend Symbology?

Adding one more information: If I change the thickness of the lines, the lines in the legend symbology also get thicker. From my point of view, the ratio is not choosen good. At least doubling it would be better.

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Hi cweindl,

I need some more details about your configuration.

Which version of GMSC do you use?

Which monitor do you use? Size, Resolution, Brand, Model would be interessting.

In addition please attach the style of one thematic legend entry.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Steve

Contributor

I have the problem with the version 15, 16 and 2018.

I have the problem on all different kind of monitors (from 1080p to 4K). But the resolution isn't the problem, because I have the same issue tiwht the printed legend on PDFs. So it's from my point of view not a matter of hardware.

Attached is a screenshot of one of the lines I posted above. The main problem from my point of view is the "meter" Unit,and the false ratio for the legend.

Technical Evangelist

Hi cweindl,

you are right it's an issue if you are using the symbology unit "metre".

I tested your style and recognized that the legend icon uses a very thin line at the PDF (see attached) which is very difficult to see.

In principle GMSC uses a minimum stroke width of 0.5 pixel which will be increased in relation to the DPI. As you can see at the attached PDF, this behaviour works as expected for the map but it doesn't work for the printed legend icon.

Do you agree that it would solve your issue if we ensure that the thickness of the legend icon in the printout is equal to the thickness of the red lines at map of my attached PDF?

Best Regards,

Steve

Contributor

Hi Steve,

this would definetly solve the problem for the prints, but I still have the same issue with the legend displayed in the client. There it's the same behaviour and I can't distinguish between the colors because of the thin lines (I havent't seen one monitor who would display it right).

Technical Evangelist

Regarding the printing issue -> perfect, the post-sales team will create a support ticket for you.

The legend issue in the client is still a mysterious for me because I used the most thinly stroke width at my screenshot. I tested it on four different monitors. See the attached photos.

• Dell - E248WFPb - 24" 1920x1200
  • Dell - 2208WFbt   - 22" 1680x1050
  • Dell Notebook Display - 15,6" 3840x2160
  • Dell P2415 - 24" 3840x2160

Is there another color which is very difficult to recognize for you? 

Best Regards,

Steve

Contributor

Now that you posted the pictures of the screens I know where my problem is coming from.

If you have a look at the image in my first post, you will definetyl see a huge difference in the thickness of the lines in the legend and the map window. Yout lines in the legend have the same thickness, but you compare it to lines in a much larger scale. So the problem is the scale factor the user is watching at:

The lines in the image above are optimized for 1:500. So these lines will be at max displayed on a 1:1000 scale. Zooming out to maybe 1:20000 would display them with the right thickness.

This problems only occurs when having meters for a paper-dependent scale. 

Here is a screenshot, displaying my lines in 1:20000:

1212.JPG

And here the same with 1:500:

1313.JPG

So of course the legend symbology should be static, but it's just hard for my customers to distunguish the colors with this thin lines. Especially when it's just normal havin the style in pixel. Here is the difference in the legend having the symbology in pixel an meters:

1414.JPG

It's way easier to see. So the problem only occurs for lines which have a low maximum scale and won't be displayed on a higher scale. Then of course I need a thin stroke width (because I am looking to it on a small scale) and this width will be used for displaying the legend symbology on a "global scale".

Do you know what I mean? 

Technical Evangelist

Yes, now I know what you mean and I think we have now the same basis for our conversations.

If the you are using the symbology unit "metre", then GMSC's legend shows the same line thickness for all scales.

This is related to the fact that the legend makes no difference between metre and pixel. Which means that 1 metre will be represented as 1 pixel at the legend. 

Okay so how could we proceed?

I would suggest that we get away from initial idea which requests a "configrable minimum line thickness" for the legend icons and should open a new discussion in form of a new product idea.

So if the community agrees, then we could change the GMSC's behaviour of metre based styles so that the legend icon represents the line thickness of the map if it is not less or greater then some pixel thresholds.

E.g.

• if the user defines a stroke of 0.5 metre and jumps to 1:100.000, then the stroke should not be smaller than 0.5 pixel.
  • if the user defines a stroke of 100 metre and jumpts to 1:100, then the storke should be limited to a calculated maximum value.

Do you agree?

Best Regards,

Steve

Contributor

Perfect. I totally agree. I will post this as an product idea.

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.