Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

GeoMedia Smart Client

GeoMedia Smart Client community discussion board is where you can create, contribute and share information and knowledge in regards to configuring as well as working with GeoMedia Smart Client. Find your answers, share your knowledge and help build a strong GeoMedia Smart Client community.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Frequent Contributor

GMSC - GPS tracking on Windows 10

Hello,

We need to perform GPS tracking on GMSC running on a Windows Surface tablet (Windows 10).

If I understand correctly the only way today, with GMSC 2016 SP2, is to use an external GPS plugged to the tablet (in USB, sending GPS coordinate to a serial port).

We have to wait for GMSC 2018 release to be able to use the Windows 10 native location API.

Is that correct? 

When is planned the 2018 release?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Yohann.

Contributor

Re: GMSC - GPS tracking on Windows 10

I'd like to know this also. Our shire staff all have Windows 10 devices, and one of our contractors are looking at purchasing these also.

This would mean they can't use the GPS with Smart Client 2016. I believe they can't even use external GPS devices.

Is there a way to get the GPS working or should I tell them to hold off until GMSC2018?

Staff

Hi guys, 

as far as I know Microsoft Surface doesn't have a GPS receiver builtin. By the way in general any device capable of sending NMEA sentences via com port should be viable. 

There is a discussion here where someone has tested some devices. 

In GMSC 2018 the new Windows 10 location API will be supported.

ciao,

Stefano

Stefano Turcato
Presale Engineer
Hexagon Geospatial
Highlighted
Contributor

Hi!

Could not test it myself, but know from a customer:

When your device has GPS you can useGpsGate Splitter Express: http://gpsgate.com/purchase/gpsgate_client_licenses

With this tool you can send the GPS-Signal to a COM-Port, which you can then select within GMSC.

regards

Wolfgang

Contributor

Hi Stefano,

Any idea when v2018 will be available?

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.