Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

Support WebGIS

Need a push in the right direction when configuring WebMap, Portal or SDI services? Looking for hints and tips, or just looking for Ideas and information? The WebGIS discussion board is where you start those discussions, connect and share information.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Consumer Portal 16.5/2018 WFS vector layer not displaying

Hi

I created a WFS service using Webmap 2018 (clean build), saved it in a workspace in AdminPortal and then assigned to a Consumer Portal instance. The WFS features are not rendering on the map.

I can observe the following errors in console:

WFS_Console.png

My questions are:

1. Can WFS display in Consumer Portal?
  2. What does the error tell?

This is what Consumer Portal requests:

http://ygaovm05.ingrnet.com/wfs_sdc/service.svc/get?request=GetCapabilities&service=WFS?request=GetF...

The same WFS service seems to display fine in AdminPortal and Geospatial Portal.

Cheers

Yuan

Technical Evangelist

Re: Consumer Portal 16.5/2018 WFS vector layer not displaying

Hi Yuan,

I was able to reproduce this issue. It looks like Consumer Portal doesn't crop the standard WFS parameters that were supplied in the map definition. When I register the WFS in AdminPortal without the parameters such as request=GetCapabilities&... then it displays properly in Consumer.

I think this shall be treated as a bug thus I will report it.

Regards,

Jan

Jan Neumann
Post Sales Engineer Web Applications
Hexagon Geospatial

Frequent Contributor

Thanks Jan. I see you have created a ticket in the system!

Cheers

Yuan

Occasional Contributor

I noticed that there is no client caching used for the transferred vector data. Why use a tiling solution without client-side caching?

Contributor

I also apreciate that there's no client side caching. I supose that it's some missed functionality on oficial release. Can we expect this client side caching in incoming Service pack?? Better if it is done also on  server ,but this seems only to be done on MapEnterprise. 

Contributor

I also apreciate that there's no client side caching. I supose that it's some missed functionality on oficial release. Can we expect this client side caching in incoming Service pack?? Better if it is done also on  server ,but this seems only to be done on MapEnterprise. 

Regular Contributor

Below seems to work for me for client side caching - assuming you have control of the WMS/WFS config.

Consumer Portal – enable browser caching of vector tiles

A client side browser cache of vector (WFS) tiles and/or WMS tiles can be enabled.

Initial request from every user (browser) for each tile will still go to the WFS service for dynamic generation. i.e. no performance improvement for first request of each tile.

Once returned to the browser, the tile can be cached for an administrator defined period. That means if the same location is re-visited using the same browser within that administrator defined period – including restarts of browser -, the content will be available in the local browser cache. Handling of the cache is up to the browser / OS / device and end user settings.

Following is example for configuring WFS for caching. WMS is similar.

1. Open the WFS (or WMS) service instance web.config
    e.g. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Hexagon\Services\Instances\WFS\Web.Config
    Note: WMS cache already has a 30 second cache predefined by default.
  2. Find the <EndpointConfiguration> section
  3. Add  cacheControl="Public" cacheDuration="2.00:01:01" to the get item
    (Does not apply to post or soap)
    1. Before:

<EndpointConfiguration>

<endpoint name="soap" messageAnalyzer="soap" defaultLanguage="english" />

<endpoint name="get" messageAnalyzer="get" defaultLanguage="english" />

<endpoint name="post" messageAnalyzer="post" defaultLanguage="english" />

<endpoint name="soappl" messageAnalyzer="soap" defaultLanguage="polish" />

<endpoint name="getpl" messageAnalyzer="get" defaultLanguage="polish" />

<endpoint name="postpl" messageAnalyzer="post" defaultLanguage="polish" />

</EndpointConfiguration>

1. After

<EndpointConfiguration>

<endpoint name="soap" messageAnalyzer="soap" defaultLanguage="english" />

<endpoint name="get" messageAnalyzer="get" defaultLanguage="english" cacheControl="Public" cacheDuration="2.00:01:01" />

<endpoint name="post" messageAnalyzer="post" defaultLanguage="english" />

<endpoint name="soappl" messageAnalyzer="soap" defaultLanguage="polish" />

<endpoint name="getpl" messageAnalyzer="get" defaultLanguage="polish" cacheControl="Public" cacheDuration="2.00:01:01" />

<endpoint name="postpl" messageAnalyzer="post" defaultLanguage="polish" />

</EndpointConfiguration>

1. Modify the cacheDuration to specify how long content from WFS request can be cached for.
    e.g. 2.00:01:01 is 2 days, 1 minute, 1 second. i.e. after a browser obtains a tile, it can cache that tile for 2 days before it has to request a replacement.
    The cacheDuration applies to all content of the WFS service. i.e. if you want to allow some content to be cached for 1 week and some content to be cached for 24 hours, you will need two WFS services.
  2. cacheControl="Public" allows intermediate servers – such as proxy servers – to cache the content for the defined period.
    If only the end client is allowed to cache the content, set it to Private. For WFS content which is common and shared across many users, Public is appropriate.
    Proxy servers can potentially cache the Public content for all users accessing the content via the proxy. Proxy setup is normally beyond control of the local WebGIS administrator.

Ref: GeoMedia WebMap Administrator Guide > Tools for Creating and Managing GeoMedia WebMap Service Instances > Advanced Configuration of Web Services > Configuring Common Sections, Endpoints Configuration

https://hexagongeospatial.fluidtopics.net/reader/jFUgMwV8rLquX7vj86E_6A/As~DCIpPbvh3zqKIhQna4g

I would love to see some sort of server side cache as well - still formulating appropriate idea for idea board. e.g. 50% of clients area is ocean so only want to cache that 1-3 levels, 80% of land area is farm or national park so only want to cache that 1-5 levels. Then want to define urban areas to cache completely.

One interium option could be using 3rd party caching proxy - I've been toying with the idea of trying squid-cache but have not had the time to run it up. However would also want to write some sort of script to call the WMS / WFS tiles - and at present I don't know how the tiles are defined for our coordinate system.

Regular Contributor

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the tip on how to enable caching on the WFS services. I believe I have enabled this correctly but I'm still seeing HTTP calls to the WFS when panning around data in Consumer Portal.

Are you able to expand on how this type of caching works. My knowledge of VectorTiles is limited, I understand there are a set of tiles per map scale so once the browser has requested all the tiles covering my example data at a particular map scale should I be able to pan around the data with no repeat requests to the WFS?

Thanks,

Colin

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

All I know is in the info I posted - product centre pointed me towards the help topic a while ago when I asked about it.

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.