Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

Support WebGIS

Need a push in the right direction when configuring WebMap, Portal or SDI services? Looking for hints and tips, or just looking for Ideas and information? The WebGIS discussion board is where you start those discussions, connect and share information.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Staff

Defining number of MapServers in GeoMedia WebMap

Hi Team,

What should be the criteria for setting up number of map servers for GeoMedia WebMap. What should be the thumb rule for better performance with 100 concurrent users?

Though performance will depend on various factors like number of layers, type of database etc. But is there any document available to estimate the server sizing?

Regards,

Shashank Mathur

Technical Evangelist

Re: Defining number of MapServers in GeoMedia WebMap

Hi Shashank,

regarding the number of MapServers, I think it is meaningless to set it to anything bigger than the number of physical cores/processors of your server.

Pavel

Staff

Hi Pavel,

Yes, but I saw that by default, when we install WebMap, it takes number of map server = number of physical cores / 2.

So is there any rule or documentation to decide on how to define the number of map server?

Regards,

Shashank

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I would recommend you take a look at this article:

http://blog.hexagongeospatial.com/geomedia-webmap-deployment/

Regards,

Colin Bertram

Staff

Thanks Colin.

Staff

[ Edited ]

But I think this document has considered WMS. How about the editing users who are using WFS-T or WFS and also for WMPS. Since the average processing time for each Map request can be more so how much time should be considered for these services?

Regards,

Shashank Mathur

Frequent Contributor

It is very difficult to provide that level of guidance for each customer as every GeoMedia WebMap implementation is unique in terms of usage and configuration.

From my own experience the best advice I can offer you is to performance test your infrastructure to identify the bottle necks in your architecture and optimise as necessary to meet expected/required performance levels.

Also consider (if you can) seperating out your web services across web server pools to improve through-put and availability. This should also allow you to run infrequest but long running web service requests (such as WFS and WMPS) seperately from frequent web service requests (WMS and WMTS) so the profile usage of the GeoMedia WebMap Map Servers is suited to to the requests received by the server pool.

HTH

Colin

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.