Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

Support WebGIS

Need a push in the right direction when configuring WebMap, Portal or SDI services? Looking for hints and tips, or just looking for Ideas and information? The WebGIS discussion board is where you start those discussions, connect and share information.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

WebMap 2016 installing process fails to create AdminPortal application

Hi all,

We tried to install WebMap 2016, the installing process showed successfully, but it turned out that it didn't create the AdminPortal under AdminConsole.

Issue 2.png

We check the configuration log file and it shows this confusing error

Issue 3.png

AdminPortal appears to be imcompletely copied to Admin Instance folder

Issue 1.png

We uninstall, clear all remaining applications in IIS, clear the registry and physical folders and re-install again, but it keeps happening

Appreciate all suggestions and ideas on resolving the isssue

Kind regards,

hbm
Staff

Re: WebMap 2016 installing process fails to create AdminPortal application

In addition to the configuration wizard log file, examine the administration console service log file. This should provide some more insight as to what exactly went wrong.
Super Contributor

Hi hbm,

Thank you for looking to this issue.

I check the Administration Console service and it shows a confusing error message

Issue 4.png

I also include the Administration Console log

Kind regards,

Staff

Hi Bob,

Please check to see if all requirements are met, specifically the Window Identification Foundation and .NET framework.

Is this a brand new server with no prior webmap version installed ?

Regards,

Frank

Super Contributor

Hi Frank,

All the requirement are met. The full history of installing the server (from top to bottom):

1. The server is Window Server 2008 R2, installed WebMap 2014
  2. We uninstalled WebMap 2014, cleaned up, then installed WebMap 2016 and it went successfully after several attempts
  3. Uninstalled WebMap 2016, installed Appollo Complete, but the catelog was turned off.
  4. Attempted to re-install WebMap 2016 -> failed because Admin Portal was not set up
  5. Uninstall Appollo and WebMap, cleaned up the registry, IIS and physical locaiton
  6. Tried reinstall WebMap, but Admin Portal still wasn't there.
  7. Attempted a couple times but stil the same issue.

Kind regards,

Staff

Hi Bob,

I recall similar installation issue where the zip installation package were uncompressed with the Windows built-in Extract All... function.  In that case, using winzip or 7zip to uncompress the install files and a reinstall resolved the issue.

Let's wait for hbm to chime in on the error messages.

Thanks

Frank

hbm
Staff

The admin console service's log file only tells me that when the configuration wizard told it to create the Admin Portal instance it failed because IIS was still thinking some of its objects already existed.

This makes me think that you need to put greater attention to the 5th point on your procedure. Seems like the cleanup wasn't thorough enough, or the machine didn't catch up yet and was in an "unclean" state still Smiley Wink

Could you elaborate a bit more on the exact clean up procedures you applied to the IIS, registry and physical locations, Bob?

Super Contributor

Hi hbm,

Thank you for looking into this. Detail of how I clean up is:

1. Un-install webmap
     2. After uninstalling, in IIS remove these application and virtual directories: AdminConsole\App, Backend, BackendWMPS, 3. 3. GeoMediaWebMap, geospatial, GeospatialPortalDoc and GeospatialPortalImages. I also delete their application pools
    3.  I delete folders AdminConsole, AdminConsole\App, Admin Instances and Admin templates
     4. Open regedit, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Intergraph\Geospatial Server\ --> delete Admin Services Instances folder, Components and VersionedComponents and Admin Service Template Repositories -> this step clears all broken workflow when it ran the configuration.

I was having the AdminPortal not be installed in the past and this workflow helps me get pass this, but not this time.

Kind regards,

Super Contributor

Hi hbm,

From the GWMConfigWizard.log, I cross-check with the decompiled dll Intergraph.GeospatialServer.Portal.Configuration.PortalPackagesAction 

This is the part where creating an instance of Admin Portal has a problem

I 1.png

In the dll, this is the part of the code that the problem occurs

I 2.png

Hopefullly it can give you some more clues on how things go wrong, so you can give us some insights on how to solve the issue.

Kind regards,

hbm
Staff

This line failed because one or more of the following was preexisting on the Configuration Wizard being run, while it was not expecting the thing to be there:

1. The AdminConsole virtual folder in IIS
  2. The AdminConsole\AdminPortal application in IIS
    1. Virtual Folder
    2. Application Pool

I think you should double check your IIS after uninstalling WebMap to be sure the AdminConsole virtual folder and all sub-folders in IIS have been properly obliterated. It won't hurt to restart IIS, so that any process that might be holding off the actual removal gets to release its handles.

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.