Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

Support WebGIS

Need a push in the right direction when configuring WebMap, Portal or SDI services? Looking for hints and tips, or just looking for Ideas and information? The WebGIS discussion board is where you start those discussions, connect and share information.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Super Contributor

Re: WebMap 2016 installing process fails to create AdminPortal application

Hi hbm,

I repeat the process of uninstalling WebMap, clean up and install it again. This time I deliberately restart the IIS a couple of time and restart the server after doing the clean up. However, it still shows the same problem. 

Is there any difference in the process of creating/validating components Backend or BackendWMPS compared to the one of AdminPortal?

It looks like it somehow triggers a trap or fault in the process. 

Kind regards,

hbm
Staff

I believe there shouldn't be anything different between the Configuration Wizard trying to create the Admin Portal, Backend or the BackendWMPS. All three are Admin Console type instances, although kept in a different Instance-hive (hidden from the GUI).

Looks like there is a bit more cleaning to do.

Super Contributor

Hi hbm,

Would you mind explaining further what cleaning I should do?

I am not aware of other places, apart from IIS, registry and WebMap physical location.

Kind regards,

Super Contributor

Hi hbm,

I just wonder you could advise us other places that we can look for residual of Admin Portal

Kind regards,

hbm
Staff

Right, Bob.

In IIS there are several applications and virtual directories created on install which might not have been cleaned up properly in your case:
1. AdminConsole   (a virtual folder pointing to the IIS WebSite's physical location subdirectory, by default C:\inetpub\wwwroot\AdminConsole)
2. AdminConsole/App   (a sub-app of the folder)

3. AdminConsole/AdminPortal    (a special administrative instance, whose physical location by default is in %CommonProgramFiles%\Hexagon\Services\AdminInstances\AdminPortal)

4. Backend   (a special administrative instance, physical location is %CommonProgramFiles%\Hexagon\Services\AdminInstances\Backend)

5. BackendWMPS   (physical location %CommonProgramFiles%\Hexagon\Services\AdminInstances\BackendWMPS)

6. geospatial    (this is the main Welcome Page)

7. GeoMediaWebMap

You should track them all down in IIS before installing WebMap anew and remove them, together with any Application Pools created specifically for them. It is a good idea to do an IIS reset afterwards, so that all resources get a chance to be released finally.

Super Contributor

Hi hbm,

Thank you for looking at this.

After I uninstall webmap, I do remove those applications above in IIS, I also remove their application pools. I even remove all WebMap virtual directories such as GeospatialPortalDoc and GeospatialPortalImages.

I also delete their physical instances as you listed above.

Finally, I open the registry. From HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Wow6432Node -> Intergraph -> Geospatial Server 

• Go to Admin Services Instances folder delete AdminPortal, Backend and BackendWMPS keys
  • Delete the folders under VersionedComponents and Components
  • Restart IIS and reboot the machine

If my cleaning method is enough then could be something else that causes the failure.

Kind regards

Contributor

I have the same situation with an update to WebMap 2016 from 2015 and everythig suggested I still tried. Since I was in a urgency  I had to restore a snapshoot with 2015 installation. I would like to update again to 2016 but we need proper instructions to avoid this problem on adminportal creation.

Staff

[ Edited ]

I ran into this issue in the past on a VM upgrade 2015 to 2016 and resolved the issue by cross checking the prerequisites/system requirements and enable/install .NET 4.5 framework and Windows Identity Foundation. Once installed and registered the configuration process completed the task of create AdminPortal during a reinstall process.

It is worth checking prerequisites/system requirements on the OS.

If this has been done/confirmed please disregard this note.

HTH

Contributor

I'm doing now a shanpshoot of VM, and I hope that during this week I will try to install webmap 2016 and if it fails again I will try to follow your suggestion.

Technical Evangelist

[ Edited ]

I was testing something related to AdminPortal recently and got into situation that the complete installation got broken. These steps helped me to recover:

• Unistall WebMap, Portal, SDI (same order as those were installed) and also GeoMedia
  • Double checked IIS for residuals on applications, virtual folders and App Pools
  • Deleted manually all residual folders and files, except service instances folder and WebMap Publisher Data/Projects folder. The folders are like:
    • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Hexagon (except .\Services\Instances)
    • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intergraph
    • C:\Program Files\GeoMedia [Professional]
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intergraph
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Hexagon
    • etc etc
  • Delete related registry entries, mainly under:
    • HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Intergraph
      • except HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Intergraph\Geospatial Server\Instances
      • except HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Intergraph\GeoMedia WebMap Publisher\Services
    • HKCU\SOFTWARE\Intergraph
  • Cleaned up all TEMP folders that I could imagine
  • Cleaned up all Temporary ASP.NET Files
  • Run CCleaner to do some rest cleanup incl. registry fixes
  • Checked Services - there was one sticking (either Capabilities or Quality Monitor, not sure which one)
    • Deleted this service using command SC DELETE shortservicename

Hopefully I didn't miss anything in this list Smiley Embarassed

Then, after reset, I started the installations again:

1. GeoMedia
  2. GeoMedia WebMap (+ SDI if applicable)

AdminConsole was now fixed and it displayed the previous services as I didn't modify the related folders and registry entries.

HTH others ;-)

Jan

Jan Neumann
Post Sales Engineer Web Applications
Hexagon Geospatial

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.