Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

WebGIS

Need a push in the right direction when configuring WebMap, Portal or SDI services? Looking for hints and tips, or just looking for Ideas and information? The WebGIS discussion board is where you start those discussions, connect and share information.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

Any recommended file system type and block size for WMTS?

Client is setting up new storage for new load balanced farm.

[See post at http://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/Support-ERDAS-APOLLO/Load-balanced-farm-fast-storage-ideas... if you have any suggestions for storage architecture]

Currently client stores WMTS files on standard NTFS with default block size.

Client was wondering if there is a recomendedand storage type or block size for WMTS generated and served by GeoMedia WebMap / Geospatial SDI? 

Technical Evangelist

Re: Any recommended file system type and block size for WMTS?

Hi Shaun,

An interesting question. I suppose there are no official recommendations on this architectural level so you should follow HDD manufacturer and Microsoft's recommendations. I've looked around and it looks like such optmizations are not much worth the effort - the performance will be the same and there will be only small differences in the wasted space. Have a look at these comments:

I guess you could set lower block size to better manage the space. The WMTS tiles are usually pretty small files counting dozens of kilobytes. However the spaces saving will not be significant.

Jan

Jan Neumann
Post Sales Engineer Web Applications
Hexagon Geospatial

Highlighted
Contributor

If you can (it is not INSPIRE specifications) I recomend you to use tiles of 512x512. They are also compatibles with the Google and INSPIRE scales with the correct size terraint and you are going to generate 4 time less tiles, big files and more importnat to display a map you will request 4 times less tiles.

But, if you need to be 100% compatible INSPIRE you can't, the tiles must to be 256x256 pixeles. Smiley Sad

Regular Contributor

Nice - thanks Smiley Happy

Contributor

I am sorry, I have forgotten this, don't use the configuration <Parameter name="HashToFolders" value="{0}\{1}{2}\{3}{4}\{5}{6}\{7}{8}"/>, except that you are generating a cahce until level 22 and for al the world. This for a cache with 500,000 tiles (half million tiles) produce probably the same number or more of folders in your cache and you will have only one or two tiles per folder.

I use to define it as <Parameter name="HashToFolders" value="{0}\{1}{2}\{3}{4}"/> This has 65,536 folders (16*16*16*16) in the second level and, by example, 500,000 tiles in 65536 folders are 8 tiles per folder. 

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.