Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

WebGIS

Need a push in the right direction when configuring WebMap, Portal or SDI services? Looking for hints and tips, or just looking for Ideas and information? The WebGIS discussion board is where you start those discussions, connect and share information.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Portal Printing

Hi All,

Can someone please assist me with printing from portal.I am out of ideas to what else to try.

I have setup a printservice on the same machine hosting the geospatial portal.

When running from the browser http://servername/Printing/PortalPrintService.svc it is successful.

I have tried printing with both engines (Phantom And Internet Explorer),Also tried printing on engines from the portal on local and the service,but return an empty print.Local only displays the empty image and through the service it is the complete template with the appropriate legends but no content(No map or features , just a blank box).Sometimes if the map box is not empty it has a "Session Resuming...Please Wait" message.

I have enabled portals logs and also the printing service logs , but no error related to the printing exist.

I have also tested on chrome and firefox but both return the same results.

All products are on the 2016 release.

Any help regarding this would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Jacques

Technical Evangelist

Re: Portal Printing

[ Edited ]

Hello Jacques,

I would not recommend using the InternetExplorer method, PhantomJS seems much easier to set up.

If you print with PhantomJS then there's an option to enable detailed logging. Firstly set enableVerboseLogger to true in Portal’s web.config, printing section. Then go to C:\Windows\Temp\phantomjs… and watch the activity there when issuing a print job. There should be a couple of files created. Some of them contain logging information which could provide more details on what’s gone wrong.

I've seen problems when Apollo catalog connection was used and user logged int. But that should be fixed in 2015 EP04 or EP05 already.

I also suggest to try printing a very basic map and then adding few additional layers at time to find whether any of those layers causes problems.

Jan

Jan Neumann
Post Sales Engineer Web Applications
Hexagon Geospatial

Occasional Contributor

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the reply.

I will test your suggestion and also test with the apollo service and without it.

Kind Regards

Jacques

Occasional Contributor

Hi Jan,

I have done as suggested with no concurrent results.

Used phantomjs as the print engine.Enabled the logging.

The log did not supply any suspicious information.

I also tried printing only the bing and google backdrop disabling all legend entries.

I also tried removing all wmps services but one and removed all apollo related services and still an empty template gets generated.

Also tried the above from different aspx page(full.aspx) with same results.

When inspecting the snapshot images in c:\windows\temp in the phantom directory they are also empty.

I have also noticed that before or after each print the session gets resumed and simetimes in the generated print where the map should be it stated Session Resuming ... Please Wait

Kind Regards

Jacques

Technical Evangelist

By the testing from simple maps I actually meant not using existing starting workspace but to start with a clean workspace. So probably a new testing Portal instance without any workspace predefined should be used.

There should be also a log file in the PhantomJS folder. What's the content?

Jan Neumann
Hexagon Geospatial

Occasional Contributor

Hi Jan,

So I did what you requested.

Created a new blank portal and tested the printing,print was fine.

Added everything contained in our portal one by one testing the printing after each addition.

Added Google Maps ..working

Added bing Maps ... working

Added the one wms service .. working

Added Apollo service..working

Added 10 of 14 wmps services working.

After adding the 11th wmps service I started getting the same behaviour.

Again no suspicious log entries made.

Also tried mixing the 10 wmps services between the 14 of them ...behaviour starts on the 10th wmps service.

Dont know if the portal is maybe getting to large...also getting session resumes at this point just before or after printing.

Kind Regards

Jacques

Technical Evangelist

Hi Jacques,

I found some time to test it. On my machine it starts to behave weird just after 3 WMPS services are added. I get Session Resuming messages and the printing output is distorted. I will create an SR for that, hopefully the development team will be able to reproduce that too.

Regards,

Jan

Jan Neumann
Hexagon Geospatial

Occasional Contributor

Hi Jan,

Thanks a million.

Atleast I dont feel like the only crazy one anymore.

Kind Regards

Jacques

Contributor

Hi Jan,

Can you provide any update on this SR?

We are having the same problem and therefore clients are not able to print which is obviously not good.

Thanks,

Jason

Technical Evangelist

Hi Jason,

It is still open, on the fix list for the next major release.

Regards,

Jan

Jan Neumann
Hexagon Geospatial

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.