APOLLO & ECW/JP2 Discussions

Wondering how others have configured their ERDAS APOLLO server or what data they are crawling? The ERDAS APOLLO Discussion board is a place to find information, share ideas and more. Join the community, connect, contribute and share.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Regular Contributor

Apollo Core WMTS,Bing And Google With Portal etc

Hi Guys,

This is not so much an issue but rather a question to get some clarity.

When using google and bing as background data in portal etc , when zooming into a very low level an offset starts to appear on google and bing map.

We have solve this by simply limiting the allowable minimum zoom level of bing and google.

This behaviour does not appear on our apollo core wmts service (Rendering our counries ariel photos mosaic (50cm)EPSG:4326)

So basically I have a 2 part question.

1.What cause this offset in google and bing?

Is it caused by the actual tile sizes of bing and google , or maybe the coordinate system used or the way portal etc projects it?

2.An inhouse development department of one of our clients have ask for access to the wmts.They use one of teleriks components to display bing/google in their application.What I can gather as I am not familier with teleriks components is that the component is not OGC compliant and can only use service that is "googlemapscompatible" (Take it has something to do with tilesize)

So my second question is a two part question , can wmts services rendered from apollo core be made "googlemapscompatible"

and if that was the case would one not end up with the same effect as with bing and googles offset?

Looking forward hearing your thoughts and facts.

Kind Regards

Jacques

Re: Apollo Core WMTS,Bing And Google With Portal etc

Hi Jacques,

You mean when you add data from the catalog, you have a shift with Google Maps or Bing?

But, when you use the WMTS coming from the Core in the same Portal, everything is fine?

I don't know Teleriks but, yes, you can make a WMTS compatible with Google maps. You just have to check the box "Google maps compatible" in the Core Console or Data Manager to enable the corresponding tile matrix set.

Florent

Regular Contributor

Hi Florent,

Yes , so displaying our data on a google or bing backdrop it displays fine at higher altitude.

But when zooming in to very low altitude bing and google gets an offset ,  below 1:1066.

This does not happen with our WMTS core service , it works fine.

So I was just wondering what would cause this in Google and Bing , could it be the tile sizes.

And the other thing was that if we should enable "Google maps compatible" on the WMTS , would this not yield the same result.

Well , we can test this , no problem , was just wondering about the google and bing offset.

Kind Regards

Jacques

Hi Jacques,

Sorry for the delay, I have never seen issues with Google Maps and Bing in the last versions of APOLLO, if it is a problem, you can contact the support.

Enabling "Google Maps Compatible" for a cataloged layer will only affect the WMTS (generated by the Core even for the catalog WMTS).

Florent

Regular Contributor

Hi Florent,

No worries , and again , sorry for my late response.

I think I might not have explained what I mean clear enough.

Basically what I would like to know was that should we enable "Google Maps Compatible" , I presume that the tiling structure differ and will this then not also cause the effect of the offset.

We do not get this offset on the normal wmts service.

I have attached 4 images , hopefully this will explaine what I am getting at better.

Images 1- 3 is with google backdrop each at a lower alt.

Image 4 is a comparison to image 2 except it has n normal wmts service , services our ariel images from apollo (no "Google Maps Compatible")

Will enabling "Google Maps Compatible" on wmts not also cause this effect of images 1 - 3?

Kind Regards

Jacques