APOLLO & ECW/JP2 Discussions

Wondering how others have configured their ERDAS APOLLO server or what data they are crawling? The ERDAS APOLLO Discussion board is a place to find information, share ideas and more. Join the community, connect, contribute and share.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Occasional Contributor

Change default Apollo service connection for ECW Plugin for AutoCAD 2016

Hello,

We would like to deploy the ECW Plugin for AutoCAD 2016 in our company.

Can anybody tell us, how we can change the default Apollo service connection (http://demo-apollo.geospatial.intergraph.com) to our custom Apollo service connection.

We tried to achieve our goal by deploying, during the installation of the plugin, a custom ECWPlugin_ServerHistory.xml file to C:\ProgramData\Hexagon\ECWPluginCAD\V_2015_01\ with our custom Apollo service connection. But as soon the first user loads the plugin, the Apollo service connection is reset to default.

I hope anybody can help us with this matter.

Community Manager

Re: Change default Apollo service connection for ECW Plugin for AutoCAD 2016

[ Edited ]

Hi Chrivi,

C:\ProgramData\Hexagon\ECWPluginCAD\V_2015_01\ECWPlugin_UrlHistory.xml is being used to store the Service URLs, which a user is adding by using the PlugIn GUI. But nevertheless it should be possible to use this file in order to provide a set of predefined configurations as you described in your post.

If this file is getting overwritten once you are starting the PlugIn pls. check following:

• User permissions on this folder. Pls. test whether it’s working if you grant full access to folder C:\ProgramData\Hexagon\ECWPluginCAD\V_2015_01
  • Due to some systems do not allow you to write to any program folder, the config file can also be stored at one of the following locations. The PlugIn is using the first config file, which can be found.
    • C:\ProgramData\Hexagon\ECWPluginCAD\V_2015_01
    • C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Hexagon\ECWPluginCAD\V_2015_01
    • C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\Hexagon\ECWPluginCAD\V_2015_01
    • %TEMP%\Hexagon\ECWPluginCAD\V_2015_01

• If all these options fail then you might have a syntax issue in your config file. In this case pls. send us your config file for validation.

BTW, by using in AutoCAD the command “ECW_SHOWMESSAGES” you can access as well as export the internal log files generated by the PlugIn – which could also help to nail down the root cause.

HTH,

Christoph

Christoph Rosenberger
Community Moderator
Christoph.Rosenberger@hexagongeospatial.com
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

First of all, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, your solution did not work for me.

Here's what I tried:

• I installed the ERDASECW2015PluginForAutoCAD_X64.msi
  • After the installation I created the folder structure: C:\ProgramData\Hexagon\ECWPluginCAD\V_2015_01. 
  • I copied my custom ECWPlugin_UrlHistory.xml to the folder.
  • I changed the user permission on the folder on giving Full Access to Everyone
  • I started AutoCad Map 3D 2016. As soon as I started AutoCAD, the Plugin created a new ECWPlugin_UrlHistory.xml with http://demo-apollo.geospatial.intergraph.com, and my custom file was transformed to a ".bak" file. Needless to say, my own configuration wasn't used but everything was back to default in PlugIn GUI.

I also tried the other locations, but none were working and the Plugin always created under C:\ProgramData\Hexagon\ECWPluginCAD\V_2015_01 it's default ECWPlugin_UrlHistory.xml file.

Kind regards,

Christian

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

>> I installed the ERDASECW2015PluginForAutoCAD_X64.msi

>> After the installation I created the folder structure: C:\ProgramData\Hexagon\ECWPluginCAD\V_2015_01. 

Can you please try to install it as you did, then start one time AutoCAD and the ECW-Plugin, and after that copy your "ECWPlugin_UrlHistory.xml" file to this destination folder?

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Yes, this works but this is not what we want.

For our users, we need that the right Service URL is loaded during the first start of the ECW-Plugin.

Christian

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

>> Yes, this works but this is not what we want.

Well, this is at least one good answer as we know now that the file itself is working and the preloading of the plugin is finding the correct file.

>> we need that the right Service URL is loaded during the first start of the ECW-Plugin.

Is it just one URL (to one single ECW data) which has to be used as default or do you have multiple different datasets that should be available directly for the first start of the plugin? (just thinking about exchaning the content of the file "APOLLOPluginCAD.dll.config" during your installation process)

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

We need just one service URL that should be loaded as default.

Kind regards,

Christian

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

>> We need just one service URL that should be loaded as default

Within the folder

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\ECWPluginForAutoCAD.bundle\Contents

you'll find different folders for each version of AutoCAD (32bit and 64bit).

In every of that version specific folders a file "APOLLOPluginCAD.dll.config" exists. You may change the setting "EcwpUrlDefault" and use this config-file as your default/in your installation process. These settings will be used for the very first start of the plugin (and you then don't need to create the predefined file in the programdata folder.

I have not tried it now, so please let me know if that works for you (I hope so Smiley Wink ).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Here is what I did:

I installed AutoCad 2016 x64 + ECWPlugin.

Before I started Autocad for the first time, I modified the APOLLOPluginCAD.dll.config under C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\ECWPluginForAutoCAD.bundle\Contents\bin_20_01_x64.

I played around with the config file by modifying the values in EcwpServerDefault and EcwpUrlDefault.

However, without success.

Could you please try it out, and let me know if the settings are taken into consideration during the first start of AutoCad or not.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Kind regards,

Christian

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

>> I played around with the config file by modifying the values in EcwpServerDefault and EcwpUrlDefault.

This file is only used for the first start, so for simulating a "clean installation" delete the file

C:\ProgramData\Hexagon\ECWPluginCAD\V_2015_01\ECWPlugin_UrlHistory.xml

before you restart AutoCAD.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA