Delivered Ideas

Discuss topics with other Hexagon Geospatial Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of our products.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

GeoMedia support for XLSX

by on ‎10-27-2017 02:07 AM - last edited on ‎10-27-2017 05:57 AM by Technical Evangelist

As a GeoMedia user interested in accessing tabular information from Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, I want GeoMedia to support XLSX files from more recent versions of Excel, so that I am not restricted to use of older-format Excel files.

An example of a recent problem with accessing older XLS files can be found here:

http://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/Support-GeoMedia/Windows-10-Update-leads-to-Unexpected-err...

Delivered with the GeoMedia Desktop 2020 release via the new Excel data server.

Comments
by Technical Evangelist
on ‎10-27-2017 05:58 AM
Status changed to: Candidate

by Technical Evangelist
on ‎10-27-2017 06:01 AM

Today GeoMedia accesses Excel spreadsheets through ISAM drivers associated with the old Jet engine.  Is this "indirect" means of accessing spreadsheets via another data server (in this case Access) preferred, or would a direct data server for Excel be preferred?

Also, access to all kinds of files like this should be possible through the ODBC Tabular data server, which was created precisely for such circumstances.  Does this approach not work for you?  - Hal

by DScha
on ‎11-07-2017 01:41 AM

As an employee of the German support team I would like to make the following comments on the request:
This request has been expressed many times by different customers in both training and on the hotline. The request refers to the attachment of Excel files as part of the command "Manage Data -> Features" (in German Language Pack "Daten verwalten -> Objektklassen -> Anhängen").
ODBC is much more complex and no alternative for some users because they have no permissions for the ODBC driver due to their computer configuration.

Tahnks Dagmar

by
on ‎11-08-2017 12:07 AM

Hi Dagmar,

thank you for your input. Hits the point!

Regards

Stefan

by PKroo
on ‎11-29-2017 02:28 AM

Hal,

I strongly vote for a new dataserver to support Excel files! 

I have filed a change request (maybe more than one time) on my customers behalf in the past.

Such a dataserver could ideally have an option to generate (point) geometries from coordinate fields.

One important thing I'd like to address if this become true is that the dataserver must not lock the excel files it connects to. This behaviour, which is true for some other dataservers (shape, mapinfo...) and the current way to read excel files is very problematic, and also hard for the end user to accept as GeoMedia only has read access to the files. 

by laut
on ‎12-01-2017 11:57 AM

Please make this happen ASAP.  Excel is a very common data file type in our organization.  Our GIS users found it very frustrated trying to bring excel files into GeoMedia.

by ALede
on ‎03-20-2018 06:58 AM

Yes, make this happen please, many of our users here need this capability.

by inact_RobG
on ‎09-24-2018 02:04 PM

I just gave a GM Grid class at a customer site and this was a very consistent gripe towards the GM platform.  They routinely have to attach spreadsheets and having to save to a decades old format is a bit embarrassing.  Please make this happen

by shikha
on ‎11-27-2018 06:29 AM

The limitation of ~65000 records in Excel 97 poses problems in working with large transportation data as it needs to be split up in multiple sheets in order to bring it in GeoMedia. Excel 2007 onwards allows 1,048,576 records. Having a .xlsx data server that supports newer excel formats will be ideal for many Hexagon users.

by Technical Evangelist
on ‎02-08-2019 02:13 PM

If you are interested in this idea, and have examples of spreadsheets that you are willing for us to study, test with, etc., please send them to me, along with any explanatory information, at: hal.espy@hexagon.com.  Thanks!  - Hal