Delivered Ideas

Discuss topics with other Hexagon Geospatial Product pioneers and experts to get the most out of our products.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Open Excel files directly rather than attaching them to an Access warehouse

by on ‎01-20-2018 08:40 PM - last edited on ‎01-21-2018 01:14 PM by Technical Evangelist

As a user of both GeoMedia and Microsoft Excel, I want GeoMedia to be able to directly connect to an Excel file via a data server rather than by attaching it to an Access warehouse, so that the extra step is not required and the means of integration is more obvious and direct.

If such a step is required by the software, it should be done automatically by the software.

Delivered with the GeoMedia Desktop 2020 release.

Comments
by Technical Evangelist
on ‎01-21-2018 01:17 PM

In altering the Idea to fit our guidelines, I have eliminated the part related to text files because we already have a Text File data server which does this job.  If there are any issues with that data server, they can be filed separately as bug reports or new ideas.

You will also want to see this idea, which is already logged.  I nearly closed this one as a duplicate of that one, but then realized that all discussion of the notion of an Excel data server was actually in the comments, and that the idea itself relates to supporting the latest Excel file format.  So I see the two as complementary.  - Hal

by Technical Evangelist
on ‎01-21-2018 01:17 PM
Status changed to: Candidate

by
on ‎01-21-2018 08:05 PM

Thanks hal.

It would have been more nice if we could, integrate this into the main program. Not as a seperate utility. I previously worked at many client sites and from the user feedback they would like to:

• Drag and drop a file into the application window,
  • Identify if it is a text file , or csv (support for common extensions. For others there is Text file format server)
  • Then show the TFD preview window and application continue from there.

by Technical Evangelist
on ‎01-22-2018 04:57 AM

You may wish to add your thoughts to this idea for drag-and-drop to create warehouse connections.  - Hal

by Technical Evangelist
on ‎02-08-2019 02:13 PM

If you are interested in this idea, and have examples of spreadsheets that you are willing for us to study, test with, etc., please send them to me, along with any explanatory information, at: hal.espy@hexagon.com.  Thanks!  - Hal

by
on ‎02-09-2019 09:13 PM

Already sent sample data to the mail address you provided.

Thank you.

Regards

Navaneeth

by Technical Evangelist
on ‎08-12-2019 01:52 PM
Status changed to: Targeted for an upcoming release

We plan to include this with GeoMedia 16.6, currently targeting Oct 2019.

by Technical Evangelist
on ‎10-21-2019 11:32 AM
Status changed to: Delivered

Delivered with the GeoMedia Desktop 2020 release.