Developer Discussions

Discuss topics with other Hexagon Geospatial Power Portfolio developers and experts to get the most out of our products.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Regular Contributor

Display wait message/data loading message

A customer has asked for ideas how to display a message in Consumer and Geospatial Portal web applications to inform users data is loading from web services.

Their concern is that after the splash screen disappears there is often a delay before data from web services is displayed in the map and they would like to indicate to the user to wait before trying to pan/zoom the map.

Is there anything in the Geospatial Portal / Consumer Portal API that could be used to display a message whilst waiting for data to be displayed?

I know this would be very difficult to do in the application due to its design as a asynchronous client with client-side and server-side connections to web services but I need to provide a consise answer to the customer explaining why we can't do this or perhaps what we could offer to do.

Thanks for any replies.

Colin

Highlighted
Staff

Re: Display wait message/data loading message

[ Edited ]

Colin,

You may try to use the events for map services and present a message while the service is registring.

Something like this (I only tested it in debug mode - in Geospatial Portal - and for registring a new service it worked well):

var mask = new Ext.LoadMask(Ext.getBody(), {
				msg: 'Loading Service Information'
			});

$event.register("registeringNewMapServiceStart", function showMask(){ mask.show(); },this);

$event.register("mapServiceInitFailed", function showMask(){ mask.hide(); alert('Error loading service information'); },this);

$event.register("mapServiceInitialized", function showMask(){ mask.hide(); },this);

Be aware that you might have to handle the mask for each service that you register.

Best regards