Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ERDAS APOLLO & ECW/JP2

Wondering how others have configured their ERDAS APOLLO server or what data they are crawling? The ERDAS APOLLO Discussion board is a place to find information, share ideas and more. Join the community, connect, contribute and share.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

ECW/JP2 SDK and client machine deployment

Hey community,

I have a question from a prospect and since i've never really used the SDK i need to hear from you guys.

The prospect wants to know how he can deploy a runtime (library created with the SDK) on each client machine?

Knowing that install/deployment is done by final user himself.

Also, how can he monitor/control that runtime usage?

Thanks in advance,

Elodie

Staff

Re: ECW/JP2 SDK and client machine deployment

The Desktop licensing requirements include "redistributable" rights so we do not limit end-user counts. If a Desktop application usecase, the third-party developer is responsible for bundling our SDK within their application and conforming to our EULA. 

Desktop Read-only Redistributable - attracts no license fee, but restrictions do apply

Desktop Read-write Redistributable - requires a license fee, based on the gigapixel size.

Please refer to https://www.hexagongeospatial.com/technical-documents/erdas-ecw-jp2-sdk-user-guide in particular the Licensing chapter for the most appropriate license type.

Frequent Contributor

Hey Chris,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I just need few more precisions.

When the SDK is bundled inside the customer application, during deployment on other machines, do we still need the SDK installer?

In the guide, it said that application should be put in a specific folder in install home but i guess this is before the client create its own build?

How do we activate the license for each desktop application on a client machine in that case?

Do you confirm that for each client machine, customer need a desktop read-write redistributable license?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Elodie

Staff

Our ECWSDK installer is only for the benefit of the third party developer. Once they integrate our library into their application, they will typically bundle our redistributable NCSEcw.dll. There is no need to ship anything else, let alone our installer to their end-users. In fact, the EULA only permits redistributing the files in the /redistributable/ folder

The ECWSDK OEM key for Read-Write licensees must be embedded in the third-party application. The key should not be visible to end-users at all, and so in this way the key unlocks the software for all of their end-users who may use it. No additional activation is required. The key is registered to the licensed software only and cannot be used on additional products / shared.

Each end-user does not need their own license. Should someone acquire a Desktop Read-Write redistributable license, outside of the gigapixel limit that is enforced, we do not limit how many end-users they may have or place any other restrictions on it. We of course strongly encourage licensees to take up Maintenance to ensure any bugs found can be resolved quickly to ease any integration. Maintenance covers minor version upgrades only.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me via email for more specific customer questions they may have

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Chris,

So last question. The client wants to understand the difference between the Server read-write redistributable and the desktop read-write redistributable licenses. When do we need one or the other?

And when do we need Server read-only end-user license?

Polls
Please register to vote
Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.