Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ERDAS APOLLO & ECW/JP2

Wondering how others have configured their ERDAS APOLLO server or what data they are crawling? The ERDAS APOLLO Discussion board is a place to find information, share ideas and more. Join the community, connect, contribute and share.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Problems running the APOLLO Data Manager

Hi, all --

I recently rebuilt my Apollo server from scratch (Windows Server 2012-R2, PostgreSQL 9.6.3, Apollo 2016), hoping to get rid of some of the baggage from getting used to Apollo the first time around.  Well, PostgreSQL loaded fine with PostGIS, and Apollo loaded and configured correctly (at least according to the results presented at the end of the configuration).  However, when I started DataManager, it would link to the database and then die with the message that the server either shut down or network connectivity was lost.  The network is fine, and I can get to the basic IIS pages.  Does anybody have an idea what DataManager is looking for and what it can't find?

Thanks.

cheers,

pete

Re: Problems running the APOLLO Data Manager

Hi,

You can check first if Tomcat is running by accessing http://myServer/erdas-apollo/ or check the windows services, check also if you can connect and log in to the Catalog Web Interface.

You can also check the logs (Tomcat): install_dir\log and look for ERROR.

If you cannot solve it, please contact the support.

Florent

Contributor

Hi, Florent --

I've verified that Tomcat is running, and I can log into the Apollo Catalog Web interface as admin/apollo123.  I also tried re-downloading the Data Manager and reinstalling it.  Same problem.  When I try to establish the connection with Apollo, I get the error "The connection to the server 137.148.161.50:8080 was lost.  Please log in again later.  Reason:  The server was shut down or the network connection was lost.  Please close and rstart the Data Manager."  This error occurs regardless of how I try to access the server (I've tried IP number, 'localhost', the computer's name, and its URL).  I know that the network connection is active, since I get the correct IP when I do 'ipconfig', and I was able to download the Data Manager from the ERDAS web site.  I am a total newbie regarding Windows Server and IIS, so there may be something misconfigured there that DataManager needs, but since Apollo appears to have been configured correctly, I don't know what it is.  It may also be that the problem is in PostgreSQL.  Is there a way to check that the database is configured correctly?  I also tried downloading the Data Manager to a different workstation and trying to connect.  It didn't work (Error:  "Failed to connect to RPC endpoint"), but that may be because i don't have remote access implemented in IIS. 

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks.

cheers,

pete

Hi pete,

Have you installed APOLLO on port 8080 or the default 80?

When you connect to the catalog Web Interface, it is also with the port 8080?

Florent

Contributor

Hi, Florent --

In following up on your question,  I deleted APOLLO and PostgreSQL and Data Manager from my server and reloaded them, being sure that the database was owned by my cat.  I then logged on as the cat and configured Apollo, insuring that acess was through port 80.  Apollo configuration recorded no errors, and as I looked at the log file (appended) for the configuration, I couldn't see any unusual errors.  Tomcat and Apollo Drop Box are both running.  However, when I try to log into the Data Manager, it still drops the connection.  I can log into the Administration Console and the Catalogue Web Interface using Firefox, but when I try to log into the Geospatial Portal, I get a license error.  I had thought that Apollo wouldn't load without a valid license, which I have, but might this be the problem?  Would it explain the bizarre results I've been having?

Thanks for your help.

cheers,

pete

Yes, it could be the problem. If APOLLO can't find the license, everything will run but you will get errors like you have.

Check the tomcat log in the log folder et search for a license error.

If you cannot solve it, please contact the support.

Florent

Highlighted
Contributor

Hi, all --

Here is the solution to the problem.  It began when I attempted to clean up the server by reloading the operating system and putting in the things I knew would work and thereby avoiding the detritus of the learning curve.

The problem was that Apollo would load, but Data Manager would not.  The problem was a license issue.  As anybody reading this knows, ERDAS uses the composite address to link a license, not a hardware address.  When I reloaded the operating system, there were no hardware address changes, but the composite ID evidently changed.  In any case, I am now crawling datasets and rebuilding the database.  I still can't access it via the web, but fixing that should be pretty straightforward (I hope).

One of the problems in diagnosing things was that some of the log files indicated that Apollo had picked up the old invalid license (based on the incorrect composite ID).  As a result, I was able to log into the catalog manager and the administrative console.  I didn't see the specific problem until I tried to log into the geospatial portal.

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.