Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ERDAS APOLLO & ECW/JP2

Wondering how others have configured their ERDAS APOLLO server or what data they are crawling? The ERDAS APOLLO Discussion board is a place to find information, share ideas and more. Join the community, connect, contribute and share.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor
Accepted Solution

"Select by Polygon" Tool fails to select images

Hi --

I have set up a database in APOLLO that comprises several thousand aerial photographs of harmful algal blooms.  The location of each aerial shows up as a star on a background map.  I would like to use the "select by polygon" tool to select a group of these aerials, but the tool doesn't work.  When I single-click a point on the background map, a point of the polygon appears.  This continues until I double-click to complete the polygon.  At that point, the polygon disappears, and nothing is selected.  The "select by point" tool does enable me to select images, but it would be very useful to use the polygon tool.

In developing the application of APOLLO, I simplified the user interface considerably to make it possible for the public to access the database.  I may have turned off something required by the "select by polygon" tool, but I have no idea what it might be.

I would appreciate any insight you may have.

Thank you for your help.

Contributor

Re: "Select by Polygon" Tool fails to select images

A follow-up to my previous posting.  I've attached a screen show showing, I think, the key issues in this problem.  The buttons on the left bar are [1] Browse ERDAS APOLLO Catalog, [2] Click-Zip-Ship, and [3] Geoprocessing.  I have zoomed to one of our datasets and started the process of making a polygon to choose the images in that dataset for later processing.  As you can see, I haven't pressed the last button.  When I either right-click or double-click to end the polygon, the polygon disappears, and one goes back to "Select by Point."  That, at least, will make the star in question turn green, but the selected point's data can't be transferred to the clipboard. 

One factor that shouldn't be related, but might be:  The operating system is located, as Windows tends to be, on the C: drive.  The PostgreSQL database and related files are on the D: drive.  The file system that was crawled is a subdirectory of D:\Original Files\Central Minnesota.  I've never known ERDAS to respond negatively to spaces in a directory name, but is it possible that APOLLO either doesn't like everything to be located on the D: drive or gulps when there's a space in a filename path?

Thanks.

Hi,

The selection by polygon works only to select features from a vector service, unfortunately not for selecting catalog items based on their bounding box (or location point). It could be a good enhancement request.

Now, you can just click on the bounding box/location and check the dataset you want to select. Or you can simply click on the catalog item in the bottom panel.

If a star is displayed instead of a bounding box, it means that the item has only a point as location. It is the case with geotagged images as you mention here.

Regards,

Florent

Highlighted
Contributor

I agree with you that this would be a very good enhancement for this product, as most of the things one would want to select would, I suspect, be rasters rather than vectors.  And if these are geotagged as either polygons or points, the things that one would actually select already have vector existence.  However, I guess it is what it is.

Thank you for the response. 

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.