Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ERDAS IMAGINE

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

AIRBUS Data - True Colour Mosaic Methods

Hi

Having only reciently being introduced to ERDAS I'm Looking for options/Workflows to Mosaic large area of AIRBUS spot6/7 data and have a "true colour" output which will be overlayed on terrain within the Flight simulation industry.

Imagery supplied in SPOT DIMap v2 format with jp2 imagery, 1000+ images over various countries.

The final mosaic will need to be colour balanced and able to be saved in various resoultions.

I havent worked out how to view true colour when directly adding *.xml files into mosaic pro, allowing me to balance to a visualy pleasing image for output.

Due to the large areas/processing time frames I need to assess output before runing mosaic.

I have done similar with ERMApper and erdas in the past using direct read tif or jp2 imagery but not with the DIMap.xml folder structure.

Im feel I'm missing something.

Regards

Craig

Staff

Re: AIRBUS Data - True Colour Mosaic Methods

Hi Craig,

If you want to view your SPOT-6/7 images in true color when displayed in MosaicPro you will need to set the default band order in the IMAGINE preferences. Open the IMAGINE Preference Editor (File tab > Preferences) and select the ‘User Interface > User Interface && Session’ category then scroll down to find the 4-Band Image Red/Green/Blue Channel Default preferences. Choose the band that you want for each color channel and click the Save button. This band order will be used when adding your images into MosaicPro. There are several mosaic workflow examples available in our documentation portal.

Mosaic Workflows: https://hexagongeospatial.fluidtopics.net/reader/XWswM6TZr3V__hu3iKjbGA/Pr0mxNKpr5FzZjGjOrCVEg

Kind regards,

Stephen Bent

Hexagon Geospatial Support

Email: stephen.bent@hexagon.com

Technical Evangelist

Note that Airbus generally doesn't follow the normal "increasing wavelength" order for storing image data. I.e. rather than a 4-band NIR image being stored in the order Blue, Green, Red, NearInfrared, you'll often see Red, Green, Blue, NIR.

So a "regular" Color Infrared display would be 4,1,2 (not the default 4,3,2). For True Color you'll want to set the 4-band default to 1,2,3.

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Stephen

I had looked at preferances but was looking specificallty for Mosaic settings not registering that the 4 band setting was (global), thanks for the help much appreciated. so yes i was missing something. Smiley Happy

Is there a way to add *.xml's from a list, as xml's are not in the same folder, when selecting images.active areas are calculated after each image is added.

I found referance to being able to import from a txt list but import is greyed out trying that method.

https://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/ERDAS-IMAGINE-Q-A/How-to-add-multiple-files-from-differen...

Regards

Craig

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks Ian

That one I was aware of.  Origionally we were provided only all the jp2 files in one folder, compleatly missing any of the other supporting metadata which made the process of mosaicing a bit more time consuming.

This time round much easier once I have understod the format and setup as a whole.

I'm still getting me head around ERDAS as well, have been using ERMapper since its inseption.

Regards

Staff

It’s not currently possible to add all of your XML files into MosaicPro from a list. I would encourage you to vote for this product idea:

https://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/Product-Ideas/How-to-add-multiple-files-from-different-di...

You can load your XML files into an ERDAS IMAGINE 2D View and then select the MosaicPro from 2D View option found under the Toolbox tab. (Toolbox tab > Mosaic menu > MosaicPro from 2D View). Make sure that you have the Default Image Area Option preference set to Compute Active Area first. You can set this in the ERDAS IMAGINE preferences in the MosaicPro category.

IMAGINE Preferences > Applications > MosaicPro > Default Image Area Option > Compute Active Area

Regards,

Stephen Bent

Hexagon Geospatial Support

Occasional Contributor

Hi Stephen.

Is there any way to sort images by file size.

I have opened my images in 2D view sorted via file size (placing smaller imagery at back to fill holes).

from this point I was hoping that i could send to mosaic pro and have the same sort order - but no it did not keep my layering order.

my intent is that the imagery with the larger area of coverage to be on top so as to reduce seam lines (809images).

I can create a list sorted but cant load in to mosaic pro (no import ability from list)

any suggestions

Craig

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.