Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ERDAS IMAGINE

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can I change the TIF dimension ?

I do have a question and I would like to change the dimensions of my two TIF files. They are both large width and height...they have no projection.

Is there a way for me to change that ?

Technical Evangelist

Re: Can I change the TIF dimension ?

Hi Robert,

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "change the dimension"? Do you want to subset a section of the image? Do you want to rescale / resample / downsample to a different pixel size? Etc.

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
Highlighted
Contributor

Thank you, Ian.

I am sorry I could not provide in more detail.

What I want to change the dimension in Width and Height.  My historical aerial photos was scanned by a contractor and came in with the external hard drive that has all the historical hard drive..

There are couple that I wanted to change the dimension is because a few of them has large dimension and some of them have smaller dimension...

For example, one of my aerial photos I have shown me in Layer info: Width 13398 Height : 16759.

The map info(Pixel Center) shows here Metadata.png

But I am not sure if I could change the dimension here ?

Thanks,

Robert

Technical Evangelist

Interesting. So your data provider scanned the images and tagged the TIFFs with the micron scanning pixel size. Which is technically correct, but doesn't really help from a geospatial perspective.

But you can work with it. I'm assuming from what you're saying that you want a smaller image dimension (fewer rows and columns) but retaining the whole image extent? I.e. down sampling the pixels. Is so, one of the simplest things would be to use the Raster tab > Resolution group > Spatial menu > Resample Pixel Size option. Select your "big" images as input and then specify the output pixel size you want. So if you wanted one with half the rows / columns and the input pixel size is 0.0014 cm, you could specify a desired pixel size of 0.0028 cm. 

You can Batch this process if you want to apply it to multiple images.

You can also set the output file format to TIFF, but if you want them to be JPEG encoded still make sure you first set your TIFF preferences to achieve that (the default is uncompressed if I recall).

Hope this help.

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.