Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ERDAS IMAGINE

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Valued Contributor

Condor Installation

Dear all, In the documentation I read: "ERDAS IMAGINE supports a concept of shared installation, where the full ERDAS IMAGINE software will be installed on a single central machine and will be shared with other machines. On the other machines, a network version of ERDAS IMAGINE will be installed. The Network installer establishes a link to the full ERDAS IMAGINE install." What does "network version of ERDAS IMAGINE" mean? How can I installa this network version? thank you
Staff

Re: Condor Installation

A network install is a concept where you only install the full IMAGINE on one machine and then access it from other machines. To make this work, we have a network installer that lays down the minimum necessary files on the other machines to enable you to access IMAGINE from the machine where it is fully installed.

The step by step procedure for intalling the network version is documented in the Condor installation guide.

Regards, Sam

Frequent Contributor

Condor installation has been the hardest task ever for me in the field of Erdas so I am glad to hear succes stories and comments. In nutshell I believe requirements for success are - Suitable windows server computer - Domain from that same or some other windows server - Equal access from processing nodes to server diskspace (= server has a big and fast shared disk where all nodes have similar and fast access)- The process you are going to run in Imagine suits to Condor sharingWhen these requirements are fulfilled there is a hope for success - good luck on yoru voyage. I gave up in some step but I definetly have interest to do it again sometimes when motivated again
Frequent Contributor

Each time I try post something on the forum I got error:"Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."Can some administrator check the forum settings
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]
Thank you for the reply. Can ERDAS network version and the full installation coexist on the same machine. I'll explain my self better. This is the situation: There are many pc (in an network) on which there is ERDAS IMAGINE Pro installed. Most of time this these PC are used by different users. For some particular processing one user would like to use all the machine using condor,to speed up performance. Is it possible?
Frequent Contributor

I think they can not but I am not sure is network installation a must for Condor. Someone who knows better may instruct more. In nutshell I believe network installed Imagine is just normal Imagine - it just reads some .exe's and other components from network drive. Processing is anyway done locally so it is designed just mainly decrease to installation size. So using just pure network installation may not loose much against normal installation. So before deciding more make one network setup and see can you do the same things as local ones on it and is there any significant difference in user experience. I have never used network installed Imagine so I speak just based on my impression and totally with no true experience...so there is a risk that I talk pure nonsense :-) Timo
Staff

Timo is right. The network IMAGINE installation is not the only way IMAGINE can be installed/configured to use Condor. You can do the full IMAGINE install on all machines that are going to be used in the condor pool. You will need to make sure that on all machines, IMAGINE is installed to the same directory/path structure. 

Once you do that, when you install condor, skip installing the netwrok IMAGINE installer. you can not have both the full and network IMAGINE on the same machine.

The downside of doing a full install on all machines is that when/if there is a patch that needs to applied to IMAGINE, you will have to do it on all machines. If it iwas a network install, you only apply the patch to that machine that has the full install. 

Sam

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.