Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ERDAS IMAGINE

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Creating an orthorectified image mosaic

Hi!

I have around 1000 non-orthorectified images from an aerial campaign. I also have a block file (ERDAS .blk file) that describes the sensor location, orientation etc for these images. I would like to create a single orthorectified mosaic image from this set of images. That is, a single orthorectified image covering the whole area. Can someone point out the most appropriate workflow for this? I have a lidar-generated DEM as a TIFF file over the area, too.

Thanks and regards,
Ranjith.

Technical Evangelist

Re: Creating an orthorectified image mosaic

Hello Ranjith,

You could use MosaicPro. Blockfile can be directly used as an input in MosaicPro. While giving the blockfile as input it would prompt for an elevation source and your lidar-generated DEM can be used here. 

For more details on the options used in MosaicPro you can refer to the following e-training video.

http://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/ERDAS-IMAGINE/Create-a-Mosaic-using-ERDAS-IMAGINE-MosaicPr...

The above video demonstrates mosaicking two ortho rectified images. But in your case it would be the blockfile as input.

Thanks,

Pramod

New Contributor

Hi Pramod,

Thanks for the speedy reply. Now I get some compatibity error (see below). As far as I can tell, my DEM file's spatial referencing is okay. The same DEM works when I do 'process' > 'orthorectification' > 'resampling' from the photogrammetry manager, and try to orthorectify a single image from my block file.

I have also attached arcmap spatial ref. info.

Ranjith.

Technical Evangelist

Could you check the projection of your blockfile from Reference Coordinate System tab of the Block Properties dialog which can be launched from Edit > Block Properties option from the Photogrammetry Manager. If that shows Unknown/Cartesian then set an appropriate projection to the blockfile and try with MosaicPro.   

Thanks,

Pramod 

New Contributor

Hi,

Yes, that was the problem, they had not set the reference co-ordinate system on the block file. I set it and the mosaic worked! Now, I am not sure how orthorectification (using same block file) worked from 'photogrammetry manager'...

Now, I have one more question: My file size is quite large (large coverage area) and it hits the limit for TIFF. Which file format (of the 9 available) would you recommend for loseless storage, for such a large file?

Thanks for all your help!
Ranjith.

Technical Evangelist

Hello Ranjith,

You might want to try IMAGINE Image (*.img) the native format of ERDAS IMAGINE. Or you can even try MrSid. 

Thanks,

Pramod 

New Contributor

Hi,

I get an error when trying the above technique to create an ortho-mosaic of a different of set of images. There are 1847 files, in 12.6 GB. The process starts off but exits after sometime. The screenshot is attached, the session log is below (see latest at end). Please advice.

Ranjith.

Log:

05/09/17 14:32:14 mosaictoolpro(6932): Image E:/Kuopio_aineisto/2010/Images/FIKUOP021011_cluster/FIKUOP024013/FIKUOP024013NeighOrtho1268_100711.jpg not included in mosaic because its active area does not intersect the DTM!
05/09/17 14:32:14 mosaictoolpro(6932): Image E:/Kuopio_aineisto/2010/Images/FIKUOP021011_cluster/FIKUOP024013/FIKUOP024013NeighOrtho2068X_100711.jpg not included in mosaic because its active area does not intersect the DTM!
05/09/17 14:34:29 C:/Program Files/Hexagon/ERDAS IMAGINE 2016/bin/x64URelease/mosaicprocesspro.exe -m C:/Users/ranjitg/AppData/Local/Temp/mosaic_tmp_mos_006932 -temporary -background 0 -ignore  -excludeempty 0 -meter mosaic
05/09/17 15:56:22 SessionMgr(5500): mosaicprocesspro.exe exited with status -1073741819.
05/09/17 18:53:52 C:/Program Files/Hexagon/ERDAS IMAGINE 2016/bin/x64URelease/mosaicprocesspro.exe -m C:/Users/ranjitg/AppData/Local/Temp/mosaic_tmp_mos_a06932 -temporary -background 0 -ignore  -excludeempty 0 -meter mosaic
06/09/17 12:53:58 SessionMgr(5500): mosaicprocesspro.exe exited with status -1073741819.
06/09/17 14:22:30 C:/Program Files/Hexagon/ERDAS IMAGINE 2016/bin/x64URelease/mosaicprocesspro.exe -m C:/Users/ranjitg/AppData/Local/Temp/mosaic_tmp_mos_b06932 -temporary -background 0 -ignore  -excludeempty 0 -meter mosaic
06/09/17 15:46:34 SessionMgr(5500): mosaicprocesspro.exe exited with status -1073741819.

Technical Evangelist

Hello Ranjith,

One thing that is evident from the log for sure is the DEM that you are using seems not be covering the whole area that is covered by the images. This might not be the sole reason for the error and might require some further investigation in order to point out the actual problem. Please contact your local Hexagon Geospatial customer support for assistance.

Thanks,

Pramod 

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.