Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ERDAS IMAGINE

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Error when importing Landsat data (5, 7, or 8)

Hi, I have downloaded Landsat 5 and 7 data from USGS GloVis and am running the Import Data utility in IMAGINE 2018. When the Process List says it's "Acquiring Licenses", I get an error popup that just says "Args". Then it continues on, but throws the same error for every .img file I have it process. 

I started the Session Log the last time I ran it, and when I click "OK" on the error dialog, it writes out these 4 lines:

05/04/19 10:41:14 SessionMgr(11596): ERROR: #587 from efnp_FileNameGetNamePart
05/04/19 10:41:14 SessionMgr(11596): ERROR: efnp_FileNameGetNamePart fail
05/04/19 10:41:14 SessionMgr(11596): ERROR: #2403 from efnp_FileNameGet
05/04/19 10:41:14 SessionMgr(11596): ERROR: Args

The only thing I can think of that it was squawking at was maybe spaces and/or special characters in the path to the file I was originally using, which is this:

c:/users/alask/documents/phd research/kbs/landsat scenes/1999 (corn)/

So I changed the folders to remove spaces and the parentheses. I also updated the paths in the Default Data Directory and Default Output Directory in my Preferences. However, it is still remembering this old path (above), and it still appears in the session log even when I just run everything from and to the desktop. I have shut the software, and even my computer, down, and it still does this. So it's got the old path permanently cached somewhere.

I don't even know if that's the problem, but it seems like a first place to look. Trouble is, I don't know where to look. Or what else might be the problem if this isn't it.

Any ideas?

Staff

Re: Error when importing Landsat data (5, 7, or 8)

Hi Ellen,

Assuming that you are using the Landsat 4, 5, 7, or 8 from USGS importer, this problem is probably due to the temporary file directory specified in your ERDAS IMAGINE preferences. The first thing this importer does is extract the data from it’s *.tar.gz archive to your temporary file folder. You can choose a different temporary directory to use in the Landsat 4, 5, 7, or 8 from USGS importer dialog by editing the Extract to Directory path.

landsat_import.png

You might want to change the temporary file directory specified in your ERDAS IMAGINE preferences to prevent a similar problem from happening again. Open the ERDAS IMAGINE Preference Editor (File tab > Preferences) and navigate to the User Interface > User Interface && Session category. Scroll down to locate the Temporary File Directory preference and change it to a path that does not contain any special characters like parentheses.

Kind regards,

Stephen Bent

Hexagon Geospatial Support

New Contributor

Thank you for the reply. I actually was able to trace the problem myself to exactly where you noted the problem was. Changing that in the preferences (removing the parenthesis) did fix the error.

Occasional Visitor

I am trying to import Landsat5 images into Erdas Imagine from USGS file format (tar.gz). Imagine has only one option for Lansat 7 or 8 from USGS. If I use it for L5 it gives me an error message "The given input file is not in the USGS format".

How can I import those files then?

Thanks

M

Technical Evangelist

[ Edited ]

Hi Miriam,

Have you updated to ERDAS IMAGINE 2018 or later. The USGS Importer was enhanced at that release to cover the older Landsat 5 data. 

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.