Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ERDAS IMAGINE

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Valued Contributor

Extracting DEM from multiple stereo satellite images

Dear all,
 per 
I know that the XPro Semi-Global Matching and the Tridicon SGM extract DEM working two images per time. For example if I have three stereo images they creates many point clouds that I have to merge. What about other algorithms in ERDAS or Image Station?

Is there any algorithm in the Power Portfolio that extract DEM working simultaneously on all the images?

thank you very much 

Frequent Contributor

Re: Extracting DEM from multiple stereo satellite images

But whats the problem as you can afterwards run Point Cloud Merge and maybe Terrain Thin to decrease amount of points. If photogrammetric block is feeded for SGM as I assume new separate pointclouds should be very well matching.

I believe Image Station might have some more straightforward tools for this but the steps needed for Imagine side are not that major either so that it makes sense to spend much time and effort to find smoother ones.

The only thing I think requires improvement here is that my experiences on Terrain Thin function has not been always very smooth when cleaning up LAS files.

Staff

eATE has the capability to process multiple rays (three or more images). But overall I belive the result from XPro is better than eATE and I would also advise to merge the results using Terrain Prep Tool (TPT) after generating pairwise pointclouds.

Valued Contributor

What about Image Station?

Should I write on Image Station Support Forum?

thank you

Frequent Contributor

Sam (last message) probably knows its capabilities too in this topic so he can hopefully comment that too. I have no knowledge - just feeling that there might be something. Of course you can go to Image Station forum but it is bit more silent than this group and getting answer might be slower there. So give a shot for that forum too if Sam does not know.

But as commented I think Imagine tools are good enough for smooth operation to this task so I doubt Image Station brings nothing groundbreaking in this topic. You will manage pretty well with current Imagine tools

Staff

It is the same in ImageStation too. Both ISAE and ISAE-Ext do pair wise matching. And then you use ISDQ to merge the surface models into one.

Regards, Sam

Frequent Contributor

So there tool is ISDQ and now question is - is it better than the tools in Imagine or not? My guess is that it is more or less equal.

Highlighted
Staff

I think it is more or less the same as Terrian Prep Tool but I have not done apple to apple comparison.

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.