Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ERDAS IMAGINE

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Valued Contributor

Re: Graphic Cards for Stereo Visualization

Thank you very much!

Regards

Occasional Contributor

Just wondering, these cards are probably not low profile.  I'm looking at a K600 and it has a Win 10 driver available from nVidia.  Is it or is another low profile card compatible with the 2018 software?

Thanks.

Valued Contributor

From the ERDAS IMAGINE 2018 Update 2 Release Guide:

System Requirements (recommended graphic cards):

NVIDIA® Quadro® P6000, P5000, P4000, P2000 
NVIDIA® Quadro® M6000, M5000, M4000, M2000

NVIDIA® Quadro® K5200, K5000, K4200, K4000, K2200

Grahics Card Certification is done using Nvidia Driver version 411.63

Occasional Contributor

Yes, thanks I saw those recommendations further up the stream.  Problem is they are all full height cards and I have a z200 HP workstation only capable of accepting half height cards, hence my question.

Here's another possibly silly question - will ATI 3D cards work with stereo vis using nvidia or other active glasses?  I have an entry level ATI Firepro card that I'm wondering about.

I have also recently found that newer GPU's with mini displayport or displayport connections require an active converter cable to run to a DVI plug.  Such active cables are very expensive!  (Active cable has a USB power input as well as the graphics plug)

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Hello,

for the stereo visualization, in my experience, the only graphic cards to use are NVIDIA QUADRO.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I just contacted Nvidia support and got this information:

"Starting with release 430 drivers, unfortunately NVIDIA is dropping stereo support. The previous driver, 425.31, does support it per the documentation, but if there are bugs there are no planned maintanance releases for this driver branch."

I would like to replace the old Quadro FX 3800 and now I'm quite unsure which card to buy.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can't mean nVidia is dropping all stereo support, can you please be more specific?  Thanks.

Occasional Contributor

There is more specific information about dropping the stereo support in the attachment.

According to Nvidia support "OpenGL and clone mode stereo are supported on 425* and earlier drivers".

Occasional Contributor

Thanks, not sure what that means exactly.  Does it imply that others are taking over the quad buffered (professional) space - what are they doing about 3D gaming (geforce cards I think)??

If it means nVidia are not going to supply 3D Vision Pro stuff any more I'm astonished.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

The new GeForce drivers will no longer support Nvidia 3D Vision. That's bad news to gamers because at some point, the new games will require updating the graphics card.

I'm also a bit unsure what this all means for the users of passive stereo. I propably will buy a new Nvidia card anyway and try to get it work with the driver version that still supports OpenGL. Then I'll be stuck with that driver version, but I hope it won't be a problem with Erdas Imagine.

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.