Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ERDAS IMAGINE

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

How can I assigne imaginary plane coordinates to a non-geographic image

Hi,

How can I assigne imaginary plane coordinates to a non-geographic image.

I would like to calculate the area of each class of a classified non-geographic image. The image is a classified thin section SEM image.

My aim is to do some stastical calculations for each class of a thin section.

Although there are professional software to play with the SEM thin secion images, but I would like to experiment ERDAS.

Attached are both orginal thin section and the classified image. I want to assign imaginary plane coordinates and pixel size based on the scale bar shown on the image in microns. 

PS: The image I am working on is converted to .Img format and classified, which I am not able to attach in this post. 

Thanks and Best Regards.

RSGIS

Staff

Re: How can I assigne imaginary plane coordinates to a non-geographic image

You can enter a fake XY coordinate for the upper left pixel and specify the pixel size. Once you do that, your image will have map coordinates and you can do area computations.

To do this,

• bring up Image Metadata dialog (From Home tab) while the image is loaded in the viewer. the dialog will come up with showing the information for the displayed image
  • on the dialog, select Edit -> Chane map model.This starts the Change Map Info dialog
  • On the Change Info dialog, specify Upper Left X, Upper Left Y, Pixel Size X, Pixel size Y and units
  • Hit OK button to accept your changes

Regards, Sam

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.