Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ERDAS IMAGINE

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Open a 8 bands of worldview-2 imgage

hello,

Im working in erdas 2015, in a worldview-2 image but i can't open de 8 bands of the multiespectral image.

Someone can help me.

Technical Evangelist

Re: Open a 8 bands of worldview-2 imgage

Hi mbalao,

Can you please provide more information on what you mean by "can't open". Here's an 8-band DigitalGlobe WorldView-2 image opened directly in ERDAS IMAGINE 2015:

wv2.png

There should be no problem opening the data. 

Perhaps a silly question, but are you sure you have an 8-band WV-2 image as opposed to a 4-band BGRN image (or even a 3-band true color derivative)? Try opening the image in the Image Metadata tool and see how many bands it says are present.

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
New Contributor

Hi ian.anderson

Thank you for trying to help me.

When i open the image he has 4 bands and in metadata de image has 4 bands but when the image is open in other software (ArcGis) the image has 8 bands, its very strange but i don't understand why its ocurred. And if i save de pansharping process of ArcGis and open the tiff file in herdas or envi the image has 8 bands but  i can't open the originaly image whith 8 bads and i don't understand why.

Already tried with 2 images and the result is the same.

My question is do you need any specific package to open this image?I have already seen many tuturiais and no one specifies the need for an extra package, since the opening should be direct.

Cheers

Staff

Can you attach a couple of screenshots showing the difference between ERDAS IMAGINE and ArcGIS? We would like to see your WorldView-2 image information in ERDAS IMAGINE’s Image Metadata tool (General tab) and the same image information in ArcMap’s Layer Properties dialog (Source tab).

Kind regards,

Stephen Bent

Hexagon Geospatial Support

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Sbent,

Today i explored de ArcGis and i understood why the image have 8 bands.

Is not direct, first make a mosaic and configure whith a aditional information, (sensor, NºBands, refeerence system...) after i imported the raster image to this mosaic, and the image have 8 bands the software subdivide de 4 original bands in 8 bands of th worldview image.

In ERDAS and in ENVI i don't no.

In my opinion, the software should be able to open the image directly with 8 bands, but I do not know how.

The ERDAS dont reconize de TIL format and the image was in this format, when i import the raster image and chose de format file, de raw data dont recognize and when i chosed de all raster formats only recognized the xml format, i open the image and he has 4 bands.

Technical Evangelist

[ Edited ]

I did a quick search in ArcGIS' web help pages and it looks like you can define a Mosaic dataset with , say, 8 bands and specific wavelengths, but you can add images that have fewer than 8 bands to that mosaic. To quote:

"If there are more bands in the mosaic dataset than in the input, the mosaic dataset will not contain an empty band. The band with the wavelength closest to the extra band will be used."

So I suspect that your image really only has 4 bands, but when you add that dataset to an 8 band "WorldView-2" ArcGIS mosaic it "replicates" one of the four bands into the "empty" wavelength slots. For example, Coastal Blue probably just uses the Blue band, NIR2 uses the NIR1, etc.

I would suggest contacting your WorldView-2 data provider and confirming what data product you purchased - you may have purchased a 4 band product (BGRN) rather than an 8-band product. Or you may have been delivered the incorrect data product.

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
New Contributor

The problem was the image.

Yesterday I got an image with the real 8 bands and the program recognized.

The arcgis does exactly what it said.

Thank you for your help

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.