Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ERDAS IMAGINE

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Occasional Contributor

Point cloud measurement in 2D viewer

I am not having the best luck extracting measurements in the 3D view, as it is difficult to see what part of the cloud I am actually measuring. 

The slice shown in the Overall Profile 2D viewer would be a much easier tool from which to measure.

Technical Evangelist

Re: Point cloud measurement in 2D viewer - Status changed to: Needs additional information

Hi Jenny,

Yes - you should currently be able to take measurements in the front and side profile views. Are you saying you can't do that with the data you have?

Cheers

Ian

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
Occasional Contributor

Re: Point cloud measurement in 2D viewer

Hi Ian,

I think I was trying to take measurements in the Overall Profile for which the tool wasn't enabled.

I can do it within front and side profile views.

I seem to be leaving lots of lines and blocks all over my 2D view though from the profile tools, and I am not sure how to remove or move some of the elements, is there a way to understand this a little better?

thanksPoint_cloud measurement.jpg

jenny

Technical Evangelist

[ Edited ]

Hi Jenny,

Ok, I'd forgotten about the "overall" view for the polyline profile movie-mode. The idea there was for you to "play" along the route and then stop when you saw something you wanted to measure and you'd measure in the side or front views. 

So I think the "lines and boxes" you are referring to are the link boxes and original polyline?

Sounds like you may simply want to use the rectangle mode. A narrow rectangle is the same as a straight polyline and effectively gives you the "overall" view in the side view panel (in which you can measure things) without all the link boxes you need for the polyline movie mode.

Just drag out a narrow rectangle in the area you're interested in and then rotate and move it to the exact location you want. Does that help?

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Hexagon Geospatial
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ian,

Yep, that does explain it a bit.

I am still not quite getting how to manouever all the lines and boxes though. With the polyline profile I would like to use the pink box and move it along the line, but I don't seem able to select it, move it or delete it, I can move the line though.

I don't know how to de-select a Select by Polygon area of points.

Or how to de-select the Rectangle Profile area.

All of which makes my views quite messy and confusing.

Is there anything written to explain how to use all these tools, as I haven't managed to find it yet?

cheers

jenny

Technical Evangelist

Hi Jenny,

When using the Polyline PRofile you move the box by using the Play tools (in the Profile Roam group).

To remove selections of points just double-click somewhere away from the selection. That should remove the selection and any selection graphics. 

To get rid of the Profile graphics you can turn the tool on and back off again - that should negate any existing graphic.

There's one eTraining video module on Point Clouds. We probably need more:

http://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/ERDAS-IMAGINE/Using-Point-Cloud-Editing-In-ERDAS-IMAGINE/t...

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Hexagon Geospatial
Occasional Contributor

Excellent thanks.

I can move the red box, but still can't de-select/ turn-off anything.

I'll check out the video.

thanks

jenny

Technical Evangelist

With the main 2D View active, there should be a red X in the Profile group that turns off all the profile graphics.

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Hexagon Geospatial
Occasional Contributor

I see now.

It only appears when the 2D view is selected, and a LAS file is highlighted - to enable the Point Cloud tab.

This is what I was seeing before (attached).

cheers

jenny

Occasional Contributor

It does not clear the 'Select by Polygon' selection though. How do I get rid of that, as double clicking elsewhere doesn't seem to work?

cheers

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.