Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ERDAS IMAGINE

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

Sentinel-2 L2A Stack / Import

[ Edited ]

Trying to open Sentinel 2 level 2A and I get an error that product type (S2MSI2A) is not supported. Is this correct? Anyone got any workaround...

Staff

Re: Sentinel-2 Stack / Import

Hey Johnnie,

ERDAS IMAGINE 2018 only supports Sentinel-2 Level 1C products. You should be able to display the individual JP2 files that are delivered with the Level 2A product and layer stack them together. 

You could probably modify this spatial model to process the data: Sentinel-2 Stack / Import

We are hoping to support Sentinel-2 Level 2A data in an upcoming release of ERDAS IMAGINE, but I would suggest that you submit this as a product idea to help increase the likelihood of it being developed. 

Product Ideas

Regards,

Stephen Bent

Hexagon Geospatial Support

Regular Contributor

Ta so, pretty much as I thought. I'll add that in as soon as I get access back to the ideation area!

Cheers,

Johnnie

New Contributor

Somewhat related, but does ERDAS Imagine 2018 seriously only recognize Sentinel-2A .safe files and not files from its sister satellite Sentinel-2B? Or am I missing something? I have images from both at level 1-C but it only recognizes the Sentinel-2A .safe files.

Technical Evangelist

Hi StumWhere,

I just downloaded a new S2B L1C image from the ESA Copernicus web site. Opens fine in ERDAS IMAGINE 2018 Update 2.

Perhaps if you can provide more details on what youre trying to do we can try to dignose what's going wrong.

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
New Contributor

I downloaded mine from EarthExplorer, and when i go to add Rasters and select the .safe file format, the Sentinel-2A scene shows as an avialable file, while the Sentinel-2B scene shows up as a folder.

Work around, change the name of the file from S2B_MSIL1C_20180831T153759_N0206_R011_T18TXQ_20180831T205308.SAFE to S2A_MSIL1C_20180831T153759_N0206_R011_T18TXQ_20180831T205308.SAFE.

Technical Evangelist

What version of ERDAS IMAGINE are you using?

Ian Anderson
Hexagon Geospatial
New Contributor

I have Version 16.5.0. I'll initiate the process to have updates 1 & 2 certified for installation.

Technical Evangelist

Hi StumWhere,

Yes, I have a vague recollection that the file filter was "loosened up" at some stage.

Note that you only need to certify Update 2 - it includes everything from Update 1 as well.

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Hexagon Geospatial
Technical Evangelist

Just to be on the safe side I downloaded a S2B from EarthExplorer and tried that as well - no problems. I also checked and it was Update 2 where we loosened the file filter to be S2* rather than S2A*.

In the meantime you could also try the manifest.safe raster dll option. That should already support S2B in the original ERDAS IMAGINE 2018 release. But then all your S2 images will show up called "manifest.safe" which may also be undesirable.

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Hexagon Geospatial
Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.