Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

ERDAS IMAGINE

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
New Contributor

shadow mask based on shaded relief

I want to use shaded relief functionality in Erdas to create a shadow mask for my image. i create a shaded relief raster image from a DEM and my image but idon't know how to pass to the mask. Can any one here tell me hwo can i do that?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: shadow mask based on shaded relief

[ Edited ]

Hi again!

The attached model should do what you want - as long as you're using version 2018. You might want to look at using the insolation operator instead - might give better results for you.

Cheers,

Johnnie

New Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for the replay. Actually i'm working on Erdas 2014, and i can't open the model file you send me.

The shaded relief function gave me a raster file with one layer. based on thersholds, i have got a good delimitaion to shadows in my original image. All i want is to find a way to create a vector to mask shadows in my original image. i'm new with erdas. Is there any simple way to do what this?

Technical Evangelist

[ Edited ]

Why create a vector? Just use the shadow pixels to mask out the shadow location. Use the Either/Or operator to apply a mask:

Mask.PNG

I also strongly recommend upgrading to ERDAS IMAGINE 2018 - as Johnnie says, there's significant new functionality including the much more rigorous Analyze Radiance operator for generating a shadow mask. Newer versions also have the Apply Mask operator

Mask2.PNG

What company do you work for? I can get someone to contact them and get your software upgraded. 

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
New Contributor

Thank you for the replay, i'll try to use the operator mentionned. In fact, i'm not worker but phd student.

Technical Evangelist

Hi Mimi,

If you look on the Raster tab > Geometry group > Subset & Chip pulldown there's a Mask utility you could use instead if you wanted.

Good luck with the PhD. Which University is it? The University program usually keeps educational institutes up to date on software versions.

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
New Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for this second trick, it seems mor affordable.

I'm in Blida university, it is in Algeria and unfortunality, our university doesn't provide such material.

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.