GMSC Discussions

GeoMedia Smart Client community discussion board is where you can create, contribute and share information and knowledge in regards to configuring as well as working with GeoMedia Smart Client. Find your answers, share your knowledge and help build a strong GeoMedia Smart Client community.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

AppLauncher and the Windows 10 AppLocker

Spoiler

We have the situation, that some customers with restricted settings of Windows 10 AppLocker see the problem, that java.exe - which is launched from %USERS%\AppData\Local\Hexagon\App Launcher\cache is blocked by AppLocker.

This effect is independant of where the AppLauncher was installed to. 

Is this the standard behaviour, that java.exe is beeing copied into the %USERS%-Directory? Whats the reason therefor?

Highlighted

Re: AppLauncher and the Windows 10 AppLocker

Hello,

AppLocker is specificaly for applicaton control so an IT department can restrict what applications be used on a Windows 10 machine.

If the IT does not allow for Java.exe to be executed, and the customer has the requirement to run the AppLauncher / Java then an exception has to made by the IT department.

AppLocker is doing it's job by restricting the execuition of a an application that is not permitted to run by the IT policies.

Thanks,

Marc

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Ok, nothing against the AppLocker from my side. But from my point of view, it's hard to understand, why we copy the whole OpenJDK Binaries into c:\%user%\AppData\Local and execute java.exe from there. Especially because we have the opportunity to install the AppLauncher (silent and by params) into a directory of free choice (where we need Admin rights to install, but where we have no further restrictions by some policies).

Highlighted
Staff

the reason is to not require administrative priviliges, like stated in the last comment here:

https://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/M-App-Enterprise-Tutorials/M-App-Enterprise-2018-Hexagon-...

if the customer's IT decides to add additional security levels, we cannot do much.

Stefano Turcato
Presale Engineer
Hexagon Geospatial
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

One follow up question keeps me still busy: We installed AppLauncher into a custom directory (f.e. C:\Hexagon\AppLauncher). If I launch GMSC I see, that the initialized Java Runtime is the one which is installed in %USERS%\AppData and not the one which is located in the custom configured AppLauncher Directory. The problem is, that we need another exception rule for the Windows10 AppLocker, even though we have a java.exe in the ordinary place.

Thanks for your ideas and hints.