GMSC Discussions

GeoMedia Smart Client community discussion board is where you can create, contribute and share information and knowledge in regards to configuring as well as working with GeoMedia Smart Client. Find your answers, share your knowledge and help build a strong GeoMedia Smart Client community.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

ArcView & GMSC File Feature

Hi there,

I managed to create a feature that i can display in GMSC by setting in administrator in geometry field the value "Geometry", but i cant find a generic solution for the key field. 

I tried with a custom shp file that i made creating a special field named "id" of type long with distinct values set manualy and it worked in GMSC. I can select the vectors in the map, BUT i dont see the posibility to see the attributes of the shape file.

So i have 2 problems:

1. SHP dont have primary key and i don't know what to put in the key field. The workaround i've found is just a workaround, not something that must be done in WebMap to see the shp. I also saw that GMWebMap uses some kind of special generated key named "GAVPrimaryKey", but i get an error on test settings when i set this value on key field in GMSC administrator.
  2. SHP are vectors with attributes. If i can see the attributes in WebMap and GMSC uses that engine, i belive this should be posible, but i don't know how.

Also, i belive that the Feature from File part of documentation is lacking in consistency. It would be nice if it would be more detailed.

Thanks a lot,

Cosmin Gruian

Technical Evangelist

Re: ArcView & GMSC File Feature

Hi Cosmin,

the GAVPrimaryKey is an artificial field generated by ArcView GDO connector, and it purpose is exactly to mimic the primary key field. If you encounter issues with this field and attributes from Shape Files, it is perhaps worth of creating a support ticket, so that we can report it.

On the other hand, if you have an option to output the features to one of the GMSC native formats (PostGIS, MS SQL, Oracle), I would recommend you to go this way (you can avoid using GMSC with WebMap).

Pavel

Contributor

Hi Pavel,

So...my bad about the first point. It works with the values: "Geometry" and "GAVPrimaryKey". It started working after an IIS reset (just installed webmap...who knows...)

For the second point about the attributes of the shp i would like to use GMSC+WebMap but i don't really know how. I'm trying to build a workflow based on this ArcView connection. Can you give me some help about how i can see the attributes in GMSC? After that i belive i can build a plugin if GMSC doesn't have something allready build so that i can move the selected elements to a SQL Datebase.

Thanks,

Cosmin

Technical Evangelist

Hi Cosmin,

since you cannot define queries for features coming from a shape file, I am afraid that you will be unable to see the attributes.

Pavel

Contributor

Hi there

I saw that the "Workflows are not able to run on GeoMedia WebMap datasources" but i tought that i could at least see the attributes from the shape file, as in WebMap or GMDesktop. It isn't of much help to just see the geometries if i can't see the atributes.

Also, could you please specify this more clearly in the documentation? We have clients that belive that if GMSC uses WebMap connector for SHP it can see the atributes of elements, as in WebMap. We need a response for them.

Thanks,

Cosmin