GMSC Discussions

GeoMedia Smart Client community discussion board is where you can create, contribute and share information and knowledge in regards to configuring as well as working with GeoMedia Smart Client. Find your answers, share your knowledge and help build a strong GeoMedia Smart Client community.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Staff

Offline workflow help

This project is my first attempt at offline workflows. I have some simple offline workflows done for this project but this one is a little more complicated so any advice would be appreciated. 

Basically what I have is an online workflow that allows the user to select Paddocks on a farm then start the workflow to make recommendations for the chemicals that need to be applied.

This workflow gets the ID, Owner details, Area and Paddock name (up to 3 paddocks can be selected) from the selected features then the user can add the chemical recommendations on the form.

Ideally I would like to

• Select a number of paddocks
  • Start the offline workflow
  • Use Paddock details from the selected paddocks on the form
  • Enter chemical recommendations
  • Save the Geometry. This would need to create a multipolygon geometry from the selected paddocks that can be modified by the user to exclude part of a paddock

Is this possible?

The Issues I have at the moment include

• getting the details from the selected paddocks.
  • Saving the geometry. I hope I am wrong but I have a feeling the user will need to draw the polygons to show the selected paddocks

Regards,

Phil

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Re: Offline workflow help

Hi Phil,

I will get our GMSC consultants to take a look at this post.  Sorry for the delay.

Regards,

Frank

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Hi Phil,

Comments from our GMSC consultants:

I see some challenges in using the COTS capabilities. The issues lies in doing a dynamic query and pulling the information of that query into a single workflow form. The Offline forms does not support SQL statements. My initial approach to solve this would be to create a custom Java plugin (action button) that the user would press on it when he has made his selection. As soon as user press action button (JAVA plugin) the back end code would query the H2 offline database (where offline data is stored) and create a merge of the selected geometries into one single geometry and create a new record with defaulted value. The process within plugin would then call the offline workflow form with this newly created record ID passed accordingly. This sounds easy but there are multiple steps to take into consideration!

Here is a second opinion:

Let’s call the offline stuff “Offline Data Capturing” and not “Offline Workflows”. What we can while offline is just to edit existing elements or create new ones, one feature at a time. We do not support SQL statements and we do not have session variables. So the solution above would be the right one. Or they may think of a different approach. Should everything be done offline? How about making some notes on Paddocks while offline (for instance on a dedicated field) and then create the remaining stuff while online? Just an opinion, but sometimes we want the software able to do everything and we don’t think we can find just a different way to do things…

+++

Hope this helps

I hope other GMSC experts would add their 2 cents here too Smiley Wink

Regards,

Frank

Highlighted
Staff

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have any information (documentation, tutorials etc) that explains creating Custom Java plug-ins?

I have been working on something similar to the second option you proposed. I figured that if I get the user to draw a polygon and select the chemicals for a paddock the rest of the details can be figured out when the user is online. But it would be nice if the paddock details could be displayed in the form so the user could be sure they are in the correct paddock.

Regards,

Phil

Highlighted
Staff

Hi Phil,

you can find all the relevant info here on the community in the Developer Network section.

Best regards,

Stefano

Stefano Turcato
Presale Engineer
Hexagon Geospatial