GeoMedia Discussions

Search for an answer, post a question, or answer other users' questions in our GeoMedia support discussions. This discussion board is a great way to collaborate with industry peers around the world. It is intended for discussion and support of the GeoMedia Desktop and Add-on applications.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Regular Contributor

Automatically Updating all SQL/Access and other connections when moving data to new server

Hi there,

Our IT department are going to upgrade our GIS server and are deciding whether to have a DNS use the same name so as not to break any connections in Geomedia, but if they do it in stages they won't be able to as the existing server will still be in use.

If we were to move SQL Server and all Access/shp/Map Info data as well as any images referenced to feature classes to a different server, is there some sort of script that will update all Geoworkspaces? Otherwise it will break connections and it will be a manual fix for all files.

Regards,

Josh

Frequent Contributor

Re: Automatically Updating all SQL/Access and other connections when moving data to new server

this gap has always existed.

unfortunately you have to change everything manually ......

for completeness if you have used symbol libraries you must correct the single items of the legends ........

good job !!!

note: obviously this has been reported to Integraph / Hexagon for a long time now, but ..........

Giulio

Super Contributor

Re: Automatically Updating all SQL/Access and other connections when moving data to new server

You can try to export all your legends to a library (access) - there you are able to change most of paths via search/replace.

After this just import your legends in a new gws.

GAUSS Ingenieurtechnik GmbH | Germany
Frequent Contributor

sure, this is a solution. (moreover already known)

but try to think when you have a lot of gws ......

I'm sorry, but it would have been easier if Integraph had introduced some simple environment variables. like Microstation ...... (MGE)

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Josh

I programmed such a tool for a customer who migrated their server environment.

The tool changes the path for Access R/W, Access readonly, ArcView, GeoMediaSmartStore, GML, SQLServer R/W, SQLServer readonly and Textfile connections as well as the path of raster files. Other connection types are possible, the customer needs the ones listed.

If you are interested in the tool, you can contact me.

Best regards,

hesrah

Frequent Contributor

question
the tool allows me to automatically process all the gws contained in multiple folders?

then there is the problem of the paths of the symbol libraries, object in sheet .............

hexagon now sleeps !

Giulio

Regular Contributor

Hi giulio

"the tool allows me to automatically process all the gws contained in multiple folders?"

Yes. There is an ini file with the specification of root directories, which are all searched. In addition, the ini file contains mapping information for the old and new paths/servernames etc.

"then there is the problem of the paths of the symbol libraries, object in sheet ..."

Yes, the tool doesn't support this. It was not a requirement from the customer. To do this for symbols could be a hard job with all the trees of the symbol objects (in the API). Maybe there is a better way with a library as s.rutka propose. And the paths in the sheets are yet another story ...

But the path story is not really well done in many (all?) GIS. Don't get nervous about that.

Recently I changed the connection paths in another GIS. After that, the whole symbol configuration was destroyed ...

The world is bad with and without Corona ... Robot LOL

Regards

hesrah

Frequent Contributor

thanks for the explanations

path management: Microstation & MGE they allowed it easily.

I don't understand why they didn't keep it ....

grazie

Giulio