GeoMedia Discussions

Search for an answer, post a question, or answer other users' questions in our GeoMedia support discussions. This discussion board is a great way to collaborate with industry peers around the world. It is intended for discussion and support of the GeoMedia Desktop and Add-on applications.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Creating a middle line out of two parallel running lines in GeoMedia

Hi

I have two parallel lines representing a road in GeoMedia. I want to create a single line out of these two which would run exactly in the middle
between these two parallel lines.

Is there a way to create this middle line in GeoMedia with the aid of any GeoMedia tools?

Thanks for any ideas
Klaudija

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Re: Creating a middle line out of two parallel running lines in GeoMedia

Hi Klaudija,

this question appears from time to time. Althoug it might look straightforward, implementing such a tool to be general enough is not easy at all. What you are looking for is actually a topological skeleton. So the answer is no - there is no such a tool in GeoMedia.

However, if you are sure that the two lines has exactly the same distance everywhere, you can use "Copy parallel" command to copy one of the lines half of the distance.

Pavel

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Creating a middle line out of two parallel running lines in GeoMedia

Hi,

I have no automatic way, but I have already made it by semi-automatic process. The idea was to generate events every x meters on each line using Transporation Manager, and after that, associate the corresponding events (same line feature id and same pk) with a Analytical Merge query, generate the middle point of the 2 associated events using Functional Attributes and generate the 'middle line' using an Analytical Merge by feature id and replace the output geometry by CREATEPOLYLINE (this last step will create a polyline joining all the middle points)