GeoMedia Discussions

Search for an answer, post a question, or answer other users' questions in our GeoMedia support discussions. This discussion board is a great way to collaborate with industry peers around the world. It is intended for discussion and support of the GeoMedia Desktop and Add-on applications.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Editing features with arches in GeoMedia Desktop

Hi all

I've created an new object of a feature class with "insert features". This object contains of lines and arches. Now I want to add and delete some vertexes and add new arches into allready existing arches, but it didn't work. When I use Geometry > Edit > Edit and click on the feature to add a vertex, there's an error message appearing (Attachment 1). When I try to delete a vertex, it says that I can't delete the vertex because it will change the geometry type (Attachment 2). Because of this I can't add any arches into a an existing arc (Attachment 3). Is this not supported in GeoMedia or am I doing something wrong?

Please help me, thanks.

Best regards,

Christian

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Re: Editing features with arches in GeoMedia Desktop

The messages shown in the attachments are displayed because the edit that you are attempting would invalidate the arc geometry.  An arc requires a begin point, end point, and a point on the edge to define the radius. 

Therefore if you attempt to insert a vertex along an existing arc this creates an invalid definition for an arc resulting in the message...

"This edit is not allowed because it invalidates the feature's geometry type."

Likewise if you attempt to delete a vertex of the arc it will no longer meet the definition for an arc resulting in the message...  

"You cannot delete a vertex that will change a feature's geometry type. For example, you cannot delete the second point of a line because the deletion creates a point."

Based on the description in your original post it sounds as if you want to redigitize part of a line feature that consists of CompositePolylineGeometry that contains both ArcGeometry and PolylineGeometry components or an area feature that consists of CompositePolygonGeometry that contains both ArcGeometry and PolylineGeometry components.

Thus instead of using Edit Geometry which operates on a single vertex at a time, try using the Redigitize command to perform the edit. The Redigitize command allows you to define a start and end point along the feature between which you can redigitize new geometry.  If the selected start or end point falls on an existing ArcGeometry component the remaining portion of arc will be automatically recreated with the correct (valid) geometry definition by the Redigitize command.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Editing features with arches in GeoMedia Desktop

Hi Jmorris

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Christian