GeoMedia Discussions

Search for an answer, post a question, or answer other users' questions in our GeoMedia support discussions. This discussion board is a great way to collaborate with industry peers around the world. It is intended for discussion and support of the GeoMedia Desktop and Add-on applications.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

GeoMedia 2016 GeoWorkspace template issue

Hi 

Just wondering if anyone else has observed the same issue:

At the launching of GeoMedia, you can choose to create a new GeoWorkspace (GWS) from an existing GeoWorkspace template (GWT). In 2016, GeoMedia opens the GWT instead of converting it to a new GWS. 

The workflow to replicate the issue is:

1. launch GeoMedia 2016 application
  2. A window prompts asking you how you would like to open a GeoWorkspace. Choose GeoWorkspace template under "Create a new GeoWorkspace using" section. Then click OK.
  3. Browse to your GWT, select it and then click New.
  4. Now you would imagine you are in a GeoWorkspace, but you are NOT,you are in the GWT instead!! You can verify it by trying to save this GWS, then you will realize all you are trying to save here is the GWT that you want to create the GWS from.

cheers

Yuan

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist
Technical Evangelist

Re: GeoMedia 2016 GeoWorkspace template issue

Yuan, that's a very clear workflow, and as a reported regression we would want to resolve this with our GeoMedia Desktop 16.1 release that is coming up.  However when I run your workflow with the 16.1 software being tested for release, this does not occur.  I have not tried 16.0, but it seems unlikely that this would have regressed in 16.0, then repaired itself :-) with 16.1.  Something deeper must be going on.  If you are convinced that this can be reproduced on 16.0, my request would be that you file an SR with the Support organization and help them create a reproducible test case for us to pursue.  - Hal

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Hi Yuan, Hal,

I can confirm a strange behavior of GM 2016 when creating a new gws from template. When such a geoworkspace is modified and Save command is issued, it does not overwrite the gwt, but it creates a new gwt under c:\users\<my_name>\Appdata\Local\Temp\<my_template_name>,gwt, and save the changes to this file. The same happens if you make changes, try to close GeoMedia and answer "yes" to the save prompt. Finally, this temporary file is removed and most funny is that it appears in the list of last opened files on the GeoMedia's welcome dialog.

So this is definitively a bug, invoking "Save" command on a newly created gws should be redirected to "Save as" command. This is the way how it works in GeoMedia 2015.

Pavel

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist
Technical Evangelist

OK, that's good to know (well, you know what I mean).  Pavel, can you get a CR-D in place for us?  - Hal

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

thanks guys

SR 1-1803048881 raised. 

Can associate CR to this SR

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

OK, I have associated your SR with an existing CR. Pavel

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Btw a greenhorn question: What is really the (technical) difference between a Geoworkspace template file and a Geoworkspace document file except the s and the t in the file suffix?

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist
Technical Evangelist

There is no difference in the file format, the extension is merely a convention for convenience.  It is the usage by GeoMedia that should vary.  When a GWS is opened, the familiar behavior takes place.  When a GWT is opened, you can think of it as being copied first, then that copy being opened (but without yet having a name).  - Hal