GeoMedia Discussions

Search for an answer, post a question, or answer other users' questions in our GeoMedia support discussions. This discussion board is a great way to collaborate with industry peers around the world. It is intended for discussion and support of the GeoMedia Desktop and Add-on applications.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to check for a valid license using GeoMedia Objects

Hello,

I would like to find the best way to check programatically if a GeoMedia license is installed, using GeoMedia objects.

What is the best way to do this?

Many thanks

Adrian

Technical Evangelist

Re: How to check for a valid license using GeoMedia Objects

Hi Adrian,

I was dealing with this problem some time ago and could not find any acceptable solution. I don't think it is possible using GM Objects. Perhaps the only way is to create GMMapView object (btw. this is probably the only one checking for the license) in a try ... catch block and check the possible exception. But this is not very convenient.

Pavel

Contributor

Thank you Pavel! That is exactly what we currently have setup and it is working well but I thought there might have been a better solution.

Frequent Contributor

Hi all,

I had a similar problem, it was to get the hostID of a machine without installing the Licensing Administrator on the client machine

I have wrtitten a code making the following actions :

• Create a licerr.txt file in the c:\temp directory
  • Run GM
  • Kill the GeoMedia.exe process after 30s
  • Open the licerr.txt file to get the line where the hostID is indicated
  • Delete the licerr.txt file

In your case, you can use the same method, but just check if the licerr.txt is empty or not. If empty -> license valid, if not empty -> license invalid

Regards

Benoît

Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion Benoît. That is a clever solution!

For now we have put a try/catch statement around the piece of code that creates the Map View which is a good indication that the license is not present.

Many thanks

Adrian