GeoMedia Discussions

Search for an answer, post a question, or answer other users' questions in our GeoMedia support discussions. This discussion board is a great way to collaborate with industry peers around the world. It is intended for discussion and support of the GeoMedia Desktop and Add-on applications.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Accepted Solution

Post Gis new Connection

Hello everybody!

I have some problems with PostGis connections. I have some data in an old PostGis database that I connected to Geomedia 2015 using the open source data server.

Now using Geomedia 2016, I want to migrate my data on a new PostGis connections, using new integrate data server. Before making the connection, I have to create the medatada using DataBase utily. What is the correct procedure in the database utility tools?

thank you

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Re: Post Gis new Connection

I would recommend you the following procedure:

1. Install the old PostGIS GDO on the GeoMedia 2016 machine. Both the old and new PostGIS data servers can co-exist on single machine.
  2. Create a new Postres/PostGIS database instance. Use the GM 2016 Database Utilities to create metadata tables in the new database.
  3. Connect to the old database with old data server and to the new one with new data server from GeoMedia.
  4. Use Output to Feature Classes command to copy data from old database into new one.

Although it is theoretically possible to use the same database by dropping the old metadata and creating new one, I strongly discourage you from doing that. Copy tha data into a new database instance is better (more secure) way.

Pavel