GeoMedia Discussions

Search for an answer, post a question, or answer other users' questions in our GeoMedia support discussions. This discussion board is a great way to collaborate with industry peers around the world. It is intended for discussion and support of the GeoMedia Desktop and Add-on applications.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Projecting Data

Good Day , 

I had to use a dataset (shapefile) in GeoMedia with the following projection Parameters :

PROJCS["WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere",GEOGCS["GCS_WGS_1984",DATUM["D_WGS_1984",SPHEROID["WGS_1984",6378137.0,298.257223563]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION["Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere"],PARAMETER["False_Easting",0.0],PARAMETER["False_Northing",0.0],PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",0.0],PARAMETER["Standard_Parallel_1",0.0],PARAMETER["Auxiliary_Sphere_Type",0.0],UNIT["Meter",1.0]]

and to my challenge i couldnt create a correct system file for it majorly because on the Define CSF Application i couldnt a Mercator_Auxillary Sphere. It might be my lack of understanding the Projections and it is for this reason i am asking if theres anyone who can show me how to define a CSF from such parameters. 

How i ended up doing was to use QGIS to export the layer in WGS84 projection and bring and then i was able to visualize it in GeoMedia.

Kind Regards

Siya

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Projecting Data

Hello,

have you tried to use the prj file as warehouseconfigurationfile in connection settings? Mostly for my data this is working.

Hope it works, Ingo

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Problem:

Your .prj file references the PROJCS (projection coordinate system name) as: "WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere" which apparently GeoMedia fails to understand. If the PROJCS is referenced as "WGS_1984_Pseudo_Mercator", then the .prj file works for GeoMedia.

You might consider contacting your local GeoMedia support to report the problem where your .prj file was not read correctly as the issue that should be corrected.

History:
Prior to version 2013, to serve shape files it was required that you declare the coordinate system of the shapefile data. To achive this users typically use the GeoMedia Desktop > Define Warehouse Configuration file command to create a .ini file that identifies a GeoMedia Coordinate System (.csf) File where the .csf file would define the coodinate system of the shapefile(s).

In version 2013 GeoMedia's arcview data server was enhanced to read (or attempt to read) coordinate system information from any .prj files that may accompany the shapefiles.

Work-Around:
There are times (such as your case) when GeoMedia cannot read the .prj information correctly. Typically due to some variance in how an expected parameter is referenced or stored.

In such cases, you can always revert back to using the Define Warehouse Configuration Utility to manually create a .ini file that declares the coordinate system of the data. In this case, the data is using EPSG:3857 so when creating a GeoMedia Coordinate System (.csf) file, you can just key-in 3857.

Example .ini file contents may look something like:

COORDINATE SYSTEM:
MY_SHAPES_FOLDER=C:\Geoworkspaces\MyCoordSys.csf

In the example above all shape files located in the folder "MY_SHAPES_FOLDER" will be declared in GeoMedia as being stored in the coordinate system defined by MyCoordSys.csf.

Note: For projected xy data, when creating the represenative .csf file, always use the "Storage Space" tab to select the correct "Horizontal storage unit". The default is 1 m.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Strothmann,

I was failing to put the correct parameters you will see from Smith's comment (which has the solution Smiley Happy GeoMedia does not handle the given parameters. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Psmith, 

Thanks a lot for your solution, tested it and it works. 

Thank you once more.

Kind Regards

Siya