Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

GeoMedia Smart Client

GeoMedia Smart Client community discussion board is where you can create, contribute and share information and knowledge in regards to configuring as well as working with GeoMedia Smart Client. Find your answers, share your knowledge and help build a strong GeoMedia Smart Client community.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Super Contributor

GMSC 2016 - JAR expiry - any impacts?

I believe existing GMSC 2016 JARs expire 2 June 2018. The signing certificate appears to be timestamped, so my understanding is GMSC will continue to operate no problems after 2 June 2018.

• Is that correct?
  • Or do we have to apply 16.4.14.8 to get the latest JARs applied?
    (Getting deployment, testing, ITIL sign offs etc by the 2 June will be a real challange, if client even has budget to start with, so really hoping these are not mandatory to deploy)

Re: GMSC 2016 - JAR expiry - any impacts?

Hi Shuan.

In your statement "I believe existing GMSC 2016 JARs expire 2 June 2018" am I correct to assume you mean the certiccate expires?

From https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/security/time-of-signing.html.

Java Plug-in Enhancements

In J2SE 5.0, the Java Plug-in was enhanced to check signature timestamps (if available) when validating JAR files. The Java Plug-in will no longer present a dialog when it encounters an expired or revoked certificate when validating a signed jar, provided that the signature timestamp confirms that the signature was generated prior to the expiration or revocation date.

The TSA's certificate must be available from the Plug-in's keystore or certificate stores when the Plug-in is validating a JAR file containing a signature timestamp.

So the expiration of the JAR files is dependant on the Timestamp and not on the signing certificate expiry.

I haven't checked the 2016 jar file specifically for the dates.

Thanks,

Marc

Polls
Please register to vote
Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.