Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

GeoMedia Smart Client

GeoMedia Smart Client community discussion board is where you can create, contribute and share information and knowledge in regards to configuring as well as working with GeoMedia Smart Client. Find your answers, share your knowledge and help build a strong GeoMedia Smart Client community.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Frequent Contributor

Oracle and GeoMedia Smart client, we need some clue to setup oracle hardware for good performances

Hello,

Customer asked us how they should setup their oracle server for the GMSC solution.

We need to have an idea of ram needed and if you have  any advice focused on good performance (for the oracle part) it would be welcome.

The idea is to have 150 users at the same time on GeoMedia Smart client, the solution will not be used for huge data update most for the time data will be accessed in read only mode.

Thank you

David

Staff

Re: Oracle and GeoMedia Smart client, we need some clue to setup oracle hardware for good performanc

Hi David,

it's really hard to answer, it mostly depends on how you will publish the data. It might be you will have a very limited usage of the database if you set most of the feature as cached. I would say any general database cluster for such a user load would be sufficient.

HTH,

Stefano

Stefano Turcato
Presale Engineer
Hexagon Geospatial
Frequent Contributor

Re: Oracle and GeoMedia Smart client, we need some clue to setup oracle hardware for good performanc

HI stephano

I know customer will have only one physical Oracle server so no cluster. I have no idea of the needed RAM needed for an oracle instance in the parameter MEMORY_TARGET i guess sa for 150 users it is not so high maybe 5 Gb dedicated to the instance seems very confortable, i 'll also ask for a dedicated disk for the instance. In France we never manage those aspect it was always done and managed by integrator so after we never had feedback about the behaviour and metrics. Maybe someone can tell me if my "wild guess" seems reasonable or crazy?

Regards

David

Staff

it might be reasonable. Consider Oracle performances are really tied to the memory available for the process. If the RAM dedicated to process is not enough the DB will slow down considerably. You can check anyway the behavior while the system is running.

ciao,

Stefano

Stefano Turcato
Presale Engineer
Hexagon Geospatial
Frequent Contributor

Yes thank you, i 'll tell customer that those parameters should change accordint to the db usage.

Best Regards

David

Frequent Contributor

Hello,

I am not sure about Oracle, but in one of our projects (Water/Sewer Utilities), we have an SQL Server Standard Edition that uses >15GB of memory (~15-16GB) for a maximum of 10 users (realistically 4-5 working at the same time).

We do however have a lot of features in the project (60 caching on demand features, 55 cached features). Also the users that are working are constantly changing the data for 15-20 features.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Radu

Frequent Contributor

Thank you RaduConst Does it means that you have built heavy Worflows for editing ?

Regards

David

Frequent Contributor

Yes, we do have heavy workflows for editing (automatically setting the county/city based on where the point was added using geometry intersections, checking which user has the right to edit the geometries on multiple zones, other things like this) , but we do try and find the most performant-efficient solution and we do optimize our queries.

Regards,

Radu

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Ok thank you for the inputs

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.