Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

GeoMedia Smart Client

GeoMedia Smart Client community discussion board is where you can create, contribute and share information and knowledge in regards to configuring as well as working with GeoMedia Smart Client. Find your answers, share your knowledge and help build a strong GeoMedia Smart Client community.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

Smart Client randomly crashing on VMWare

Hi,

We are trying to get Smart Client to work on our virtual environments.

We have Java 8u91 64bit installed, but Smart Client will crash randomly, either straight away or after 5 or so minutes.

I checked the memory and it goes beyond 1.3Gb before crashing, so it doesn't look like the same crashing issue experiences with 32bit Java.

We think there might be some confusion between VM and the users machine which may be causing this.

Do you know what might be causing this?

Regards,

Josh

Staff

Re: Smart Client randomly crashing on VMWare

Hi Josh,

could you please clarify what is your environment? Are you talking of VM as client or on the server side? Is there any particular use case that makes the client crash? Anything in the log files both on the server and client side? Have you checked the project configuration (features, scale dependencies, tiling,...)?

thanks,

Stefano

Stefano Turcato
Presale Engineer
Hexagon Geospatial
Contributor

Hi Stefano,

This is the client.

We have had issues with the Proxy server going down over the last few days.

Yesterday one of our contractors had what sounds like the same issue, where Smart Client would crash many times in the day.

I will check again when this is resolved to see if it's the cause.

Nobody else has experienced these issues.

Josh

Hi Josh

From the support side we have not seen any issues specific to GMSC and VMWare.

When you mean crash, do you mean GMSC is crashing with errors in the Java console or that Java is crashing?

Have you changed the heap size in the JNLP?

If Java is crashing, I would recommend trying a newer version of Java as this would allow you to determine if it is a Java Issue or a configuration issue.

We have had success with the prebuild 8u112 https://jdk8.java.net/download.html.

Marc

Contributor

Nrupesh from Hexagon found that the Java installer needs updating on the virtual machine.

I will get IT to install the new 64 bit JVM installer and try again.

I will let you know how it goes.

Josh

Highlighted
Contributor

The new Java installer didn't fix the problem.

It looks like one of our service providers are experiencing these crashes also, although I am not sure this is the same problem as for them this occured a week or so ago and the problem went away. It has returned today. In our case it has been a problem consistently.

I will get them to provide logfiles to see if that helps. I might need to raise this as a support ticket as it more urgent than first thought.

Regards,

Josh

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.