Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

GeoMedia

Search for an answer, post a question, or answer other users' questions in our GeoMedia support discussions. This discussion board is a great way to collaborate with industry peers around the world. It is intended for discussion and support of the GeoMedia Desktop and Add-on applications.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

GeoMedia grid makes labels unreadable

Dear all,

I am struggling with a problem regarding chart grid in GeoMedia. As can be seen on the attached image, when I work with a chart layout and create a grid, this grid covers the whole chart and also the labels. They are then hard to read. Is there a way how to work with the chart grid as with a layer allowing me to choose which layers will be under the grid and which above?

I am using GeoMedia Professional 2014 (14.00.0002.00162).

Thanks a lot for your help, any suggestions are also warm welcome.

Best regards, Mathew

Staff

Re: GeoMedia grid makes labels unreadable

Assuming this question is in reference to the ‘Insert Cartographic Grid’ command from the GeoMedia Layout Window…

To my knowledge it is not possible to manipulate individual layers from the inserted map graphics so that they are above the grid. The map that is added to the layout sheet using the Insert Map is a single entity in respect to its interaction with graphics placed in the layout window (including the graphics representing the grid).  This means that you can move the entire map above the grid, but not individual feature layers of the map since within the layout sheet the entire map is on a single layer. Of course if you move the entire map above the grid, then the grid will no longer be visible.

However if you want to delete portions of individual grid lines, in order to create a gap in the grid line at the location of the label, this can be done with a manual edit at each individual location where the grid line conflicts with a label.

Since there is not a partial delete command in the layout window the workflow to create the gaps in the grid line requires the use of a couple of different commands as described below:

1. Zoom In to the location where the grid line crosses the map label.
  2. Use the Rectangle command from the Drawing toolbar to place a rectangle at the location of the label so that it crosses the grid line on each side of the label.
  3. Use the ‘Trim To Intersection’ command from the Drawing toolbar to select the portion of the grid line within the rectangle to remove that part of the grid line.
  4. Now use the same ‘Trim To Intersection’ to swipe across the horizontal and vertical lines of the rectangle to remove the rectangle or alternately use the Delete command from Drawing toolbar to delete the rectangle. The end result will be a gap in the grid line at the label location.

I've attached a Word document named PartialDeleteOfGridLineInGeoMediaLayoutWindow.pdf with the steps noted above along with relevant screenshots to better illustrate the workflow.

New Contributor

Re: GeoMedia grid makes labels unreadable

Thanks a lot for elaborate answer and detailed instruction manual!

I was afraid there is no perfect solution. But this one is for my application acceptable. Thank you once again!

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.