Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

GeoMedia

Search for an answer, post a question, or answer other users' questions in our GeoMedia support discussions. This discussion board is a great way to collaborate with industry peers around the world. It is intended for discussion and support of the GeoMedia Desktop and Add-on applications.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Insert the Map Window to the Layout Window without the white background

Hi all,

I am looking for a way, how to insert the map window into the layout but without the white background that surrounds the objects in the map window?

Please, check the attached image01.

Lets say that I want to insert the extent of the USSampleData into the layout, but I want the parts of the rectangle, where there are no object to be transparent, so that the blue circle underneath the rectangle is visible up to the coast of Texas. Is there any option how to make the map window background transparent so that it is possible to see what's behind it?

There is this possibility to insert "Existing Shape" which works exactly how I need it, except a user can select only one object in the Map Window (see image02). I would need this result but for all objects at once.

My point is to have two map windows, one with objects and the second with labels. I want to create a cartographic grid for the first map window in the layout and then place the second map window over it, so that the labels are above the grid. But I need everything, except the labels, to be transparent for this to work. It is the only way, that I came up with, how to have the labels above the grid in the layout. If I use only one map window that contains both objects and labels and I place a grid on it, the labels are below the grid and it looks very non-professional (see image03).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ondrej

Regular Contributor

Re: Insert the Map Window to the Layout Window without the white background

Use an analytical merge query to create one single geometry for all your objects. Then insert the map with the "Existing Shape" method and choose the option "all geometries in the collection". So you have the desired result for all objects at once.

Highlighted
Staff

Correct, it would be possible to merge the states and insert the layout using the Existing Geometry option / method.

Layout.png

But.. this will not help you resolve the problem where the layout grid lines interact with the map window labels.  It is not currently possible to specify a transparent background color.  The map object inserted into the layout does not have any property or concept of what consitutes the map window background color.  A similar issue was discussed in a previous thread:

Another solution for possibly more professional grids might be available in GeoMedia Mapping Manager application which creates the cartographic grids in the map window where they can be controlled using standard map legend options and commands.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understood that Ondrej will mask the labels like discussed not the states. With two identical maps in the layout windoww, one with the whole map and the grid and one only with the label and masked, it should work. So the labels cover the grid and it looks more professional in image 3.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much for your suggestion about the Mapping Manager. I will investigate the possibilites of the Feature Cartographer and Map Publisher, as I am using Geomedia 2014 where no Mapping Manager was available. If there is a possibility to create a grid directly in the map window, this might solve my problem!

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion with the Analytical Merge feature! I've tried this solution, however it seems that it is not possible to merge the labels. There is no MERGE.(Input.Geometry) available for them.

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.