Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

GeoMedia

Search for an answer, post a question, or answer other users' questions in our GeoMedia support discussions. This discussion board is a great way to collaborate with industry peers around the world. It is intended for discussion and support of the GeoMedia Desktop and Add-on applications.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

PostGIS ShapefileLoader and Output to feature classes

Dear all,

I started using GeoMedia Desktop 2016 with PostGIS data server.

My initial data was in shape files. I have used two mechanisms to import data into PostGIS database

1. PostGIS 2.0 Shapefile and DBF Loader Exporter and
  2. Output to feature classes in GeoMedia Desktop 2016

After import data in PostGIS database I have realised following things

• Data imported with PostGIS 2.0 Shapefile and DBF Loader Exporter can be successfully read in GeoMedia Desktop, but it cannot be edited (read only feature classes). In QGIS I can edit this data (insert or edit new features).
  • Data imported with Output to feature classes function can be read in GeoMedia and also it can be edited in GeoMedia Desktop (insert or edit features). In QGIS I can edit existing features, but I cannot insert new feature. I got following error message:

“Could not commit changes to layer drp

Errors: ERROR: 1 feature(s) not added.

Provider errors: PostGIS error while adding features: ERROR: Column has Z dimension but geometry does not”

I am wondering if there is any way to use PostGIS database with both GeoMedia and QGIS for inserting and editing features in existing feature classes.

Thank you all in advance.

Best regards,

Micko

Technical Evangelist

Re: PostGIS ShapefileLoader and Output to feature classes

Hi Micko,

I would suggest you to create GeoMedia metadata using Database Utilities after you import the data using DBF loader. This might work.

Pavel

Highlighted
Staff

Re: PostGIS ShapefileLoader and Output to feature classes

The feature tables loaded using DBFloader will need to be configured for GeoMedia use by adding another Geometry column such as Geometry_GM of type Bytea; then proceed to database utilities and use the Geometry tab to define the Geometry Type, the Native Geometry field. The Primary Geometry Field should be auto populated by the GeoMedia binary geometry field.

It may be that spatial geometry written by the postgis shapefile import extension/tool is written as 2D. You might try the following SQL to force 2D geometry to 3D, populating the Z values with a zero. In this case we have an area feature class called "structures" with a spatial geometry column named "geom".

ALTER TABLE structures
ALTER COLUMN geom TYPE geometry(MultiPolygonZ)

USING ST_Force3D(geom);

Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.