Hexagon Geospatial
MENU

GeoMedia

Search for an answer, post a question, or answer other users' questions in our GeoMedia support discussions. This discussion board is a great way to collaborate with industry peers around the world. It is intended for discussion and support of the GeoMedia Desktop and Add-on applications.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Staff
Accepted Solution

improve speed of Orthofotos in Geomedia

Hi,

As Geomedia user I would like to know how to improve the speed of orthofotos in the format .JPG in Geomedia.

I created an empty warehouse and added the orthophoto to the warehouse with Raster > Georeferenced.

The orthophoto (.jpg) is not split up in tiles yet. What would be the best way to create tiles of the orthofoto, which I can open in Geomedia?

Thank you for your answer,

Seraina

Technical Evangelist

Re: improve speed of Orthofotos in Geomedia

[ Edited ]

Hi Seraina:

JPG is a very simple format that does not allow for tiling or overviews.  You can use ImageStation Raster Utilities (ISRU) to convert the JPG file to TIFF format that is tiled, JPEG compressed, with a full set of averaged overviews which is very efficient for display of large images in GeoMedia.  ISRU can be obtained from the download site https://download.hexagongeospatial.com/ and does not require a license.

Regards,

Orrin

Staff

Hi Orrin

Thank you for your answer.

I tried ImageStation Raster Utilities (ISRU), but I could not load the resulting TIFF in Geomedia 2016 and Geomedia 2018 (see screenshot).

Does anyone have further ideas how to solve this issue?

Thank you,

Seraina

Staff

It appears that GeoMedia does not recognize the georeferencing of the image (I think, I don't understand the language very well so I may be misinterpreting). Assuming that the original file was actually a TIFF file that was JPG compressed, and said file had GeoTIFF tags in it for georeferencing, then when you converted the file with ISRU you should activate the Copy Application Packets option during the conversion.

Another possibility would be that the original file had an external georeferencing file called a world file. If the extension for the original file is .jpg then the world file would be .jgw. If this is the case, you could make a copy this file and change the extension to .tfw which would cause GeoMedia to locate it when you try to add it to your warehouse.

HTH,
Eric

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

and when using a .tfw world file with a TIFF image, set the Georeference mode pull-down list to World, and specify a Coordinate system file for the values in the .tfw file.

Staff

Hi,

Thank you for this helpful solution. I could load the resulting tif in Geomedia with the .tfw world file and the corresponding coordinate system file. 

Polls
Please register to vote
Do you need immediate support?
If you encounter a critical issue and need immediate assistance please submit a Service Request through our Support Portal.