IMAGINE Discussions

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Occasional Contributor

Calculate Active Area and save as AOI or Shapefile - Mask to vector ??

Im looking for an option to create AOI/shape file from Mask/Active area of multiple spot6/7 jp2k images.

We have been provided imagery as raw jp2k in tiled format, I have embeded projections and merged the tiled (row/colum) images ready to mosaic, however when adding images in mosaic pro the "create active area" comand is not producing extents as expected.  due to this we have resorted to manually creating AOI's and adding images with thier matching AOI's.

This is time consuming and inefficient, I have looked at other options like classification and generate footprint for orthoimage however have not been able to find an option we can batch and quickly create the active area footprints AOI's or shpae files to use when adding.

Is there another way to created AOI's for the extents of an image for approx 30k images, ie the mask as a vector from the image.

Regards

Craig

Technical Evangelist

Re: Calculate Active Area and save as AOI or Shapefile - Mask to vector ??

Hi Craig,

"We have been provided imagery as raw jp2k in tiled format"

Are they actually in DIMAP v2 format? Hopeflly they are and you can access the DIMAP data directly inorder to pick up all the ancillary header information with the pixels., This Spatial Modeler example may be of interest as well:

https://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/Spatial-Modeler-Tutorials/Geometrically-Calibrate-Pleiade...

"the "create active area" command is not producing extents as expected"

Have you spoken with your local support organisation about this? I would have expected Create Active Area to work fine with Pleiades imagery.

There's some additional operators which will streamline the process coming up in ERDAS IMAGINE 2020 Update 2 later this year, but with Update 1 have you tried this approach for generating footprints / active area?:

https://community.hexagongeospatial.com/t5/Spatial-Modeler-Tutorials/Generate-Footprint-for-Ortho-im...

It would be easy to either Batch the process or incorporate it into an Iterator sub-model if you want to run the process on thousands of images.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Ian Anderson
Chief Product Owner, Desktop Remote Sensing
Hexagon Geospatial
Occasional Contributor

Re: Calculate Active Area and save as AOI or Shapefile - Mask to vector ??

Hi Ian

Thanks for the quick reply.

"Are they actually in DIMAP v2 format? Hopeflly they are and you can access the DIMAP data directly inorder to pick up all the ancillary header information with the pixels., This Spatial Modeler example may be of interest as well:"

Unfortunatly the majority are not in DIMP v2, they were delivered as a file dump of  ***_r1c1.jp2 with world files. only 1 AOI (15000 files) was delivered in DIMAP v2 and the processing has been done for that area. but we have 6 more AOI's to process, so im trying to put together a workflow thats efficient.

"Have you spoken with your local support organisation about this? I would have expected Create Active Area to work fine with Pleiades imagery."

Not as yet, due to the shear number of images most work ok (however very time consiming to add images)  a substantial number randomly dont produce as expected and its time consuminng selcting and reprocessing. possibly due to the values of the data ( null or black 0-5 or more ) outside the real imagery due to the compression. 

I have looked more closley at the modified "Generate Footprint for Ortho-image (2016)" and changing the data values to min 5 max 255 getting a better result for footprint, but again needs multiple stages of manipluation after to remove holes and tidy up to use as AOI/shape for data input into MosaicPro.

We have put together a script to merg the r1c1 version using mosacipro via cmd line to create a single image and we are trying to make the process more time efficient by either creating *.aoi to match files but this in its self is mandrolic and time consuming when adding to mosaic pro.

Im not aware we have installed update 1, I will find out and provide feed back.

Craig