IMAGINE Discussions

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Contributor

Difference Between Radiance vs. Reflectance vs. Absorption vs. Backscattering

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Can any one  kindly explain the Differences Between Radiance vs. Reflectance vs. Absorption vs. Backscattering.

I have been used to of the terms Reflectance and Radiance (DN value in ERDAS, if I am correct ?) with respect to multispectral imagery. But with the use of RADAR imagery I am encountring much with the words Absorption and Backscattering.

I have seen an article at https://www.harrisgeospatial.com/Support/Self-Help-Tools/Help-Articles/Help-Articles-Detail/ArtMID/1...  explaining Radiance vs. Reflectance. But I need a more clear comperative explanaiton between, 

Radiance vs. Reflectance vs. Absorption vs. Backscattering.

PS: If I am not reffered by anyone to any detailed literature, if possible  I would like to add some more  terminology I am encountering with the use of Spectroradiometer, that I want to related with each other are Transmittance (linear ratio spectrometery), Absorbance (logarithmic ratio Spectrometery), Spectral Radiance and Spectral Irradiance, Direct Energy Mesaurement (Spectroradiometry) FOR A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF:

Radiance vs. Reflectance vs. Absorption vs. Backscattering vs. Transmittance (linear ratio spectrometery) vs. Absorbance (logarithmic ratio Spectrometery) vs. Spectral Radiance vs. Spectral Irradiance vs. Direct Energy Mesaurement (Spectroradiometry)

Best Regards,

RSGIS