IMAGINE Discussions

Discuss and share topics of interest using ERDAS IMAGINE the world’s leading geospatial data authoring system.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

ERDAS IMAGINE requirements

Hello!

I have a technical question about ERDAS IMAGINE software. Which part of computer hardware is the most important when I am using this software? Processor, RAM or graphic card?

Highlighted
Technical Evangelist

Re: ERDAS IMAGINE requirements

I’ll get the ball rolling and say that disk I/O is usually the slowest task in geospatial data processing. Faster hard disks improve productivity. Reading data from one disk, writing temporary data to a second disk, and writing data to a third disk improves performance. Be careful with network disk drives that are subject to network limitations.

With hardware (RAM, disk space, number of CPUs), more is generally better. But ERDAS IMAGINE’s performance can be heavily influenced by available temp space. Sometimes processes in ERDAS IMAGINE create temporary files. On a system with multiple disk drives, the drive that contains the default directory (c:\temp) may not have enough space. Be sure to set the Temporary File Directory in the User Interface and Session category of the Preference Editor to a directory with sufficient disk space (the actual amount you need depends on the size of the files and applications you use). It is generally better to have the temp space available locally, rather than via a network, for speed issues.

Increase your virtual memory to its maximum. Make sure that you have this amount of space free on a hard disk. You cannot just set the virtual memory higher, without having the available disk space.

Multi-core processors are strongly recommended.

Regards,

Stephen Bent

Hexagon Geospatial Support

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your help!

To be honest, I use virtual machine with ERDAS software on it. It has: 32GB RAM, 8 VCPU and 128 GB of disc memory (not sure of the type). It is meant to be a workplace for photgrammetric project. We use the 'strongest' machine we have and we think about downgrade some of it's parts. Which of them you think we can change for slower (worse) ones and don't feel the difference? Should we focus on the disc memory?

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

"I’ll get the ball rolling and say that disk I/O is usually the slowest task in geospatial data processing. Faster hard disks improve productivity. Reading data from one disk, writing temporary data to a second disk, and writing data to a third disk improves performance. Be careful with network disk drives that are subject to network limitations."

My favourite topic and I totally agree "sbent" here. No matter what you do make sure that data comes and goes quickly. That means in practise. OS/Temp to SSD, Input & Output fast RAID devices or some other fast disk space and if possible so that input is different than output. Worst scenario is to use USB 2.0 external disks as your processing space and traditional normal SATA drives are typically not much faster in the long run.

Rest of hardware you can compromise depending on your use case but in generally disk I/O is something you should not compromise.

Simple Windows task manager analysis give you good advices. If processor runs 100% then you should upgrade processor (or enjoy that everyhting works well). If processor is running way less of its capabilities then it is time to look are we consuming all RAM or is it just disk I/O issue.

GPU is critical in some applications (3d) but definetly not solution to everything.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, hope you don't mind me adding to this.

Just a query regarding hardware, looking at the following hardware for running Agisoft Pro and SAFA.

We have to use DELL products.

http://www.dell.com/au/business/p/precision-t7910-workstation/pd

IT recommending single high frequency processor for Agisoft Pro but I think we should also have duel processor for SAFA and Imagine/Mosaic tools. Any thoughts appreciated.

Also adding much larger SSD for all image processing.

Regards

John

DELLT7910.jpg

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Looks pretty good - bigger disks if possible and mouse should in some step be some professional stereo mapping mouse but definetly you can get well started with this hardware.